Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

thinking about getting a MC Rumble... A little help please! (X-Post)

953 views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  TWISTED 
#1 ·
I saw an 04 rumble frame with cranks and bb brand new on pinkbike for $175 USD and I was thinking about maybe getting it. I mainly want a new frame because my current one does not inspire any kind of confidence on the Dj's because it is so unstable and shaky in the air. I want to know how the rumble does at the Dirt jumps, is it stable, is it smooth and also if manuals are easy or not Any help is greatly appreciated!

#2 ·
It's a real nice frame. It rides nice. Cracking was pretty common at the seatstay brace for some of the older frames, but apparently it didn't really affect the structural integrity. Lots of people kept riding it after it cracked. Mountain Cycle is going out of business, so good luck getting hangers/CS.

#3 ·
I think I saw that one. make sure to check or ask about the size, because if its a medium or a large, forget about jumping it. the small size is perfict. I think its like 14 or 15 inches.

the rumbles ride great, I almost bought one a while ago, but instead decided to stick with my P.2.

#4 ·
todd_freeride said:
I think I saw that one. make sure to check or ask about the size, because if its a medium or a large, forget about jumping it. the small size is perfict. I think its like 14 or 15 inches.

the rumbles ride great, I almost bought one a while ago, but instead decided to stick with my P.2.
yah I just emailed the guy and it is a medium. It would just be too big for me:mad:

#7 ·
Says Mountain Cycle when I emailed them.

"Greatings Everyone,

I regret to inform you that Mountain Cycle is going out of business. We are all very sorry about this unfortunate turn of events. I will be in and out of the office until the end of March if you need anything. Thank you all for your continued support!"

#8 ·
XSL_WiLL said:

"Greatings Everyone,

I regret to inform you that Mountain Cycle is going out of business. We are all very sorry about this unfortunate turn of events. I will be in and out of the office until the end of March if you need anything. Thank you all for your continued support!"
:eek: :( :( :(

#9 ·
XSL_WiLL said:

"Greatings Everyone,

That's an email from one of the guys who got laid off. I'm still working at Mountain Cycle. I don't know what's going on here, but we're still selling bikes.

You can call me "Token", since I'm the only white guy here.

#11 ·
dogonfr said:
The Mountain Cycles closing has been publicized in alot of different places, i dont rember where but i have read it at least 5 times in the last coupple months. If they are still in buisness then Mountain Cycles should step up & let alot of people know.:10:
Call Mountain Cycle at 503 294 4340 ext 26 to see what's going on. Several of the PR, Sales, and Engineering guys are gone, but like I just said, Mountain Cycle is still in business, welding frames, and sending out orders.

#12 ·
TWISTED said:
Call Mountain Cycle at 503 294 4340 ext 26 to see what's going on. Several of the PR, Sales, and Engineering guys are gone, but like I just said, Mountain Cycle is still in business, welding frames, and sending out orders.
It's not toll free, im unemployed. You need to let alot of people know this if it is the case not me i ride a Versus. :17:

#13 ·
dogonfr said:
The Mountain Cycles closing has been publicized in alot of different places, i dont rember where but i have read it at least 5 times in the last coupple months. If they are still in buisness then Mountain Cycles should step up & let alot of people know.:10:
Yeah, I remember reading it somewhere else as well. Better make a public announcement. Get some press people.

#14 ·
TWISTED said:
Twisted, I just EP'ed my third Rumble from MC and spoke over the phone with some people. Are you guys owned by an East Asian corporation now? I don't mean this in the slightest derogatory way, I simply noticed that everyone had a very thick accent and spoke to each other in Chinese. I am curious because MC may be my favorite frame company and I wonder what the future holds for you all. It certainly doesn't seem like MC is out of business, but rather, that some serious restructuring/corporate buyout/whatever took place. With the engineers gone, who's going to design new frames? Are you guys remaining boutique and high end, or are we all going to see MC tricycles, cruisers, and hybrids soon? I agree with some of the posters here. The DH/FR world is clueless as to what is going on with you guys and people are shying away from buying your frames now because they don't think they are going to get replacement parts. Some PR is due - possibly starting with a 2006 website. Nobody knows what the 2006s look like or what their specs are or how to get them. Hang in there.

#15 ·
panthro said:
Twisted, I just EP'ed my third Rumble from MC and spoke over the phone with some people. Are you guys owned by an East Asian corporation now? I don't mean this in the slightest derogatory way, I simply noticed that everyone had a very thick accent and spoke to each other in Chinese. I am curious because MC may be my favorite frame company and I wonder what the future holds for you all. It certainly doesn't seem like MC is out of business, but rather, that some serious restructuring/corporate buyout/whatever took place. With the engineers gone, who's going to design new frames? Are you guys remaining boutique and high end, or are we all going to see MC tricycles, cruisers, and hybrids soon? I agree with some of the posters here. The DH/FR world is clueless as to what is going on with you guys and people are shying away from buying your frames now because they don't think they are going to get replacement parts. Some PR is due - possibly starting with a 2006 website. Nobody knows what the 2006s look like or what their specs are or how to get them. Hang in there.
I thought it was common knowledge that Mountain Cycle was bought by Kinesis back in 2001. Kinesis USA is owned by Kinesis Taiwan.

As far as I know, the fate of Mountain Cycle has not been decided. I'd really like to know more myself. I've been extremely busy and haven't had time to answer the phone. It doesn't seem that anyone's been "shying away from buying MC frames", since I've got long lists of orders to get out.

All I can say is Mountain Cycle does still exist. (oh, and I own the prettiest MC ever :D ).

#17 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
I didn't know that Mountain Cycle was bought out by Kinesis. I was just under the impression that Kinesis would be manufacturing frames for Mountain Cycle.
Yup that was awhile back & when i heard MC was closing it's doors i figured or heard the Kinesis USA was to be obsolete. I'm down the road in Cali & others are across the states, so the so called rummor is wide spread, not quite a epidemic. Somebody needs to defuse it if it is not true. :yikes:

#18 ·
dogonfr said:
Yup that was awhile back & when i heard MC was closing it's doors i figured or heard the Kinesis USA was to be obsolete. I'm down the road in Cali & others are across the states, so the so called rummor is wide spread, not quite a epidemic. Somebody needs to defuse it if it is not true. :yikes:
I guess I'd say Mountain Cycle is on "auto pilot or cruise control" right now. Still moving down the road, but no real driver behind the wheel. If I hear anything, I'll try to let everyone know. If someone hears something, let me know.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.