Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Triple Ti Eggbeaters.....Snap

1K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  VT Mike 
#1 ·
Well I thought that they would last forever, but
I was Just Riding Along....
Well I was hoping over this root and snap.
I am pushing the weight limit 6'4" 180lbs,
but I already put a full season racing on them, and they held up fine

we'll see what Crank Bros can do

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Greg in IL said:
Well I thought that they would last forever, but
I was Just Riding Along....
Well I was hoping over this root and snap.
I am pushing the weight limit 6'4" 180lbs,
but I already put a full season racing on them, and they held up fine

we'll see what Crank Bros can do
I'm 6' 3" and 185 lbs, and I'm using them. Maybe I should call Crank Bros now. They've been very good about customer service, and you won't have any problems getting them replaced.

#4 ·
*Cringe*

I think I'd go to the steel spindle version if I were you. A couple years back a riding partner broke a pedal spindle off in a similar fashion only he buried what was left of the spindle into his calf about 3/4" put him on the sideline for awhile. I'm about the same weight as you and we sit right on the edge weight limits of a lot of super light parts, so it's tempting to try and get away with it, but after seeing the gash he got in his calf I was cured :)

I think crank bros will take care of you, they have good customer serivce, but they may recommend you go to the stronger spindle.

#5 ·
I understand the desire for having a super light bike, but 180lbs or so is not a super light rider. At that weight you just can't ride all the super light stuff without parts starting to break. For comparison, a 180lb rider could have a bike that weighs almost 26lbs to equal the rider to bike ratio of a 140lb rider on a 20lb bike. Even at about 165lbs I don't go for all the lightest components. I would rather tote around a couple extra pounds than deal with breaking parts and the ensuing injuries.

#6 ·
Hey don,t forget the way you ride! I'm in the same boat as you guys (175-180 lbs) and my lightweight parts are holding up fine! But they are on my XC race bike which never seems anything else than training and racing! I generally choose the fastest/smoothest way through tough spots. That saves a lot of stress on bike parts!

Luego!

#7 ·
CODMAN said:
Hey don,t forget the way you ride! I'm in the same boat as you guys (175-180 lbs) and my lightweight parts are holding up fine! But they are on my XC race bike which never seems anything else than training and racing! I generally choose the fastest/smoothest way through tough spots. That saves a lot of stress on bike parts!

Luego!
hey codman

I just realized that I am only about 2 hours south of you. Do you ever travel down this way to ride?

#8 ·
Hi VT,
naw I've never ridden in the states before! It used to be your strong $$ that kept me away!!!! :D Now it's the hassle at the border crossings... :(

To be honnest, it's also a question of time... I train a lot! Much more than most on this board (it's the only way to compensate for lack of natural talent!!!! :D ), so I'm often riding on trails I know fit in with the type to training I have to do. Ore then I'm off to the races... Honnestly, it doesn't leave much time for just "fun" riding. But I don't think I'll be spending my whole life like this... fun group rides in new trails is a blast and definetly how I see myself riding in the not toot distant future...

You ever up to Bromont? I get at least a few rides down there a year, including the Canada cup and Masters worlds (did them last year)...

Luego!

#9 ·
CODMAN said:
Hi VT,
naw I've never ridden in the states before! It used to be your strong $$ that kept me away!!!! :D Now it's the hassle at the border crossings... :(

To be honnest, it's also a question of time... I train a lot! Much more than most on this board (it's the only way to compensate for lack of natural talent!!!! :D ), so I'm often riding on trails I know fit in with the type to training I have to do. Ore then I'm off to the races... Honnestly, it doesn't leave much time for just "fun" riding. But I don't think I'll be spending my whole life like this... fun group rides in new trails is a blast and definetly how I see myself riding in the not toot distant future...

You ever up to Bromont? I get at least a few rides down there a year, including the Canada cup and Masters worlds (did them last year)...

Luego!
I know what you me about the border. It's strange though, sometimes I just get right through, and other times they seem to bust my chops for no reason. I've never done any riding north of the border though - I'm still trying to learn all of the great trails that are quite close to me. If you ever get the urge to ride some place new, let me know.

Oh, and since it was the original topic - my triple ti's have been problem free so far and my weight is somewhere in the 160's (that's funny, I know the exact weight of my bike, but not myself :) )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.