Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Good bye tubes!!

771 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  doccoraje 
#1 ·
They sealed on the first try. I have a new pair of Croosmax XL and ordered Conti exp/twister combo. First I mounted the new tires with tubes and inflated them to 60psi. I could hear the pop of the tires. I let these sit for a few days then I took out the tube by only unseating on side of the tire then used some soapy water and sealant and inflated again with a floor pump to 60psi. Again I could hear the pop of the tires. They have held at 60 for 2 days now and I will put them to the test this weeekend. Without tubes or a rim strip and a 12-27 on the back to replace my XT 11-32 I hope to have the bike down to about 22lbs.

HT

#2 ·
Contis + sealant....

well done. however take care: newer Conti tires seem to "explode" when used with sealant.seems the ammonia is too aggressive on the Conti rubber.at least we got to see many Conti tires with exploded carcasses.

the Twister is light for sure but the lack of sidewall protection and the thin carcass make it prone to get cuts which can't be sealed by the sealant. there are better tires but not many lighter ones.

#3 ·
nino said:
well done. however take care: newer Conti tires seem to "explode" when used with sealant.seems the ammonia is too aggressive on the Conti rubber.at least we got to see many Conti tires with exploded carcasses.

the Twister is light for sure but the lack of sidewall protection and the thin carcass make it prone to get cuts which can't be sealed by the sealant. there are better tires but not many lighter ones.
I used slime for tubless as my sealant to hopefully avoid the "exploding issue", and the twister is not the ss version. The majority of my riding is void of sharp rocks so I hope the twister will hold up. If not the NBX lite sound good

#4 ·
no explosion yet

nino said:

I've been using Conti explorers, since Dec I converted to tubeless, with my used Conti explorers, one expired, so I got a new Escape, no problem at all yet, no flats and a lot of thorn punctures sealed with a homebrew sealant.
BTW, nino I still have my eclipse set waiting for some new wheels. ;)

#5 ·
differences

steve3 said:
I'm looking into doing a DIY conversion.

I'm wondering what differences were immediately noticable, as well as what overall differences are noticable.

WooHoo! Big 1,000 mark!
First of all, a smoother ride, you feel that inmediatly.
Less rolling resistance with more grip, also you'll notice that in your first technical ride. I will not go back to tubes.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.