Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

My Blur: Thanks

1K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  DMFT 
#1 ·
Weight Weenies -

I'm posting a picture of my new Blur - Special thanks to all the folks on this board who answered my questions and helped me out with various tips. Just wrapped up building this on Fri, took it out Sat to get it dailed in. Damn, I like this bike.

thanks
Skinny Racer

Specs -
Santa Cruz Blur (large)
Full XTR drivetrain, hydraulic disc
XTR WH 965 Wheelset
Michelin Comp S Lite Tires / Maxxis Fly Weight Tubes (temporary - will have tubeless setup too)
Easton EC70 bar (3degree)
Thomson Stem
Thomson Seatpost
Flite Carbonio Saddle
Eggbeater Triple Ti Pedals
FSA Extreme Orbit Pro Headset
Fox Talas RL

Weight = Light enough for me!
:)

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Hey!
You bought that at Towpath Bikes didnt you?
I saw that bike last friday just after they finished building it up.
Nice bike.
I had them build up a rootbeer blur with some heavier duty stuff(I break things) and I couldnt be happier. My 5th air didnt work quite right out of the box, but now its doing just fine.

#9 ·
Bought the frame...

Yeah, bought the frame & fork @ Towpath then sourced the parts myself. Took it back to Big Mike for the build.

re:5th element - having issues with it too, mainly that i don't know how to dial it in. Took it to Tryon saturday and messed around with the rear and got it close but it's still not exactly right. Any tips?

#10 ·
I came from a Sugar w/ a AD-5 shock on it. I was used to the stiff action of that crappy shock and tried to make the 5th feel like that. It wont. Its a much more active shock than
I was used to.
I dont know what kind of tips I can give you about tuning it in, I think thats a personal thang. Personally I max out both the IFP chamber and the main chamber to their recd. pressures. This gives the shock a fuller feel without losing any active movement.
I also have the rebound adjuster all the way out. All the way.

After a few road rides I got to take the thing on 2 full days of trail riding and wow!
The 5th really comes alive on the trails(where it should) and the bike didnt feel soft or mushy like it did on the street.
By the end of the 2nd day I was already doing stuff I couldnt near the end of last season.
Such a great bike.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.