Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Length of Spokes

444 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Mike T. 
#1 ·
As bigger portion of wheel been bought as a ready made set or done at your LBS, most of riders....like me does not know the length of the spokes used. What factors determine the length? Is it the hub, rim or combination on both? Anyway, sorry to ask such a basic Q, but I never done my own wheel, only bought the stuff and had it assembled.

Cheers for any info,
Ion

#2 ·
Reqnang said:
As bigger portion of wheel been bought as a ready made set or done at your LBS, most of riders....like me does not know the length of the spokes used. What factors determine the length? Is it the hub, rim or combination on both? Anyway, sorry to ask such a basic Q, but I never done my own wheel, only bought the stuff and had it assembled.

Cheers for any info,
Ion
Good question! Spoke lengths are determined by -

*ERD - Effective Rim Diameter. The distance between nipple seat and nipple seat. This in not the inside or outside rim diameter. You can measure it or the rim maker may provide it.

*Hub dimensions - flange diameter, distance of flange from center of axle (not from center of hub), spoke hole diameter.

*Number of spokes in wheel.

*Number of crosses of spokes (4, 3, 2, 1, 0)

You need a Spoke Calculator. Google the words and see what pops up. Spocalc is one of the most comprehensive. DT works too.

Some calcs show you a diagram of the dimensions needed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.