Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Milestone Ride at SOMO

749 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Ya_Hozna 
#1 ·
After taking an 8 year leave from mtb I began to train early this year as I decided to purchase a mtb w/inheritance monies. (not much). Yesterday, I achieved what I like to refer to as my milestone ride: Mormon-National-Telegraph Pass-Desert Classic starting at the 48th street entrance. Note, riding in the dark is not fun/recommended without a light. I allowed myself 3hrs to finish and ofcourse it took 5, therefore riding in the dark to the chants and cheers of the coyotes was a new experience. This route took a lot of hike a biking and I was wondering if anybody takes the street/road section for awhile to avoid all the hike a bike sections? Also, HID is it worth spending all that Hard earned money?

#2 ·
Hike-a-bike?

It's all rideable. Sure, not likely if you're just getting back in the saddle.

OK. I'll admit; there is one spot that has me batting 500 and that's going up the the linn.
The first few rocks look like pinch-flatters and I might screw up there because of backing
off a bit to avoid smacking too hard. Then, I have trouble deciding on a line over the
deepest rut/step in the middle. Crap. I only ride that trail once a year. I'm sure I could find
the holy grail if those trails were in my back yard and I hit _them_ several times each
week.

But if I was better at the trials-hopping technique (which is a bit hard on a squishy, 6 inch,
32 lb bike while your CamelBak weighs 18 lbs because of the extra tools, parts, video
camera and lead battery), then I'd probably get up that dawg every time.

Do what I've done: ride 4 or 5 times a week for the next 15 years and you'll be cleaning most of
that stuff every ride!

:D

One thing to consider - a great bike - one that's suited for that type of riding - can make a
world of difference. Not sure what your steed is...

It's like a lot of other issues in life; throw more money into it and it gets better!

#3 ·
sgaarmy said:
After taking an 8 year leave from mtb I began to train early this year as I decided to purchase a mtb w/inheritance monies. (not much). Yesterday, I achieved what I like to refer to as my milestone ride: Mormon-National-Telegraph Pass-Desert Classic starting at the 48th street entrance. Note, riding in the dark is not fun/recommended without a light. I allowed myself 3hrs to finish and ofcourse it took 5, therefore riding in the dark to the chants and cheers of the coyotes was a new experience. This route took a lot of hike a biking and I was wondering if anybody takes the street/road section for awhile to avoid all the hike a bike sections? Also, HID is it worth spending all that Hard earned money?
I agree with E.P. That section between B.V. and Telegraph is 99.99% rideable. Not to mention that it is a super nice section of National because of the lack of users and nice rolling "true" single track.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.