Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

3 freeride hardtail options...

829 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  slottyskimmerIZ 
#1 ·
Hey, my name is Jake Ripley, I live in Maine and work at a ski & bike shop in Freeport, i am an avid snowboarder and used to be an avid biker but grew out of my bike and never bothered to replace it. I am now looking to enter the sport again in the Freeride hardtail family. I will be doing a mix of Urban, Dirt Jumping, and some Trail Riding. i would like a bike that i will be able to push it and abuse and have it hold up (not abuse by neglect, but abuse by using it to it's full potential. i'm 6' 1" 145 LBS and fairly active.

now that we have a background on me and what i am looking for i will tell you the prediciment i am in with purchasing a bike. due to the fact that i work at a shop i am able to proform straight from the company which cuts the price in half. the three bikes i have it narrowed down to are:

Jamis Komodo 2.0
Marin AXC B-17
Haro Thread 8 (last year it was called the "zero series")

out of these i have only ridden the haro, i really like the feel of it but it seems as if all 3 of thso ebikes would ride generally the same. I've gotten some co-worker feedback, now i'd like to get some more before i make the investment

thank you for any help you can throw my way!

See less See more
#4 ·
Those look like a pretty competant group of bikes, so here is my thoughts. Take them with a grain of salt, and realize I may be off on some numbers...

Marin B-17 was a bike I really looked at a few months ago. It seemed to be the most trail oriented out of your group, with a DJ look, but not so much geometry. I didnt get it because 900(what I would spend on the build) was out due to a move.

Next up the Jamis: IMO, the best mix of the group, with the ability to rock as a DJ, but you can get it sized for trail riding too. Decent parts mix. Solid company.

And the Thread. I am kinda partial here, as I ended up buying a Haro. I find this to be the most DJ oriented bike, good for Urban and DJ, and will probably be mediocre for general trail rides, but nice for actual Freeriding. Will Suck to pedal if you get it set up as a DJ bike.

My buddy has a Haro Escape (same as me) and just built up a Spec. P3. I really like the bike, but wouldnt want to actually trail ride it at all. Definately great at its inteneded purpose, not so hot for other things.

Good luck

Matt

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.