Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

geting more traction from wood?

1K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  crashomatic 
#1 ·
how do you get more traction from wood so you are less likely to slip?

#6 ·
chicken wire

Chicken wire is "mesh" wire used to keep chickens contained in a certain area - like a fence. You might also see people use it around their gardens to keep animals from raiding their garden. Get it at hardware stores or garden / farm stores. Another option is to paint the surface with anti slip paint (basically it is just paint with sand added in to improve traction). We did this on some bridges and it works pretty well but will have to be repainted every 1-2 years.

#11 ·
i have found actaull chicken wire isnt the best. the holes are to far apart. you have to get the smaller, more hole count mesh. i have this stuff thats all little squares it works pretty well. snowshoe had by far the best stuff, its to bad i cant remember what it looked like in order to tell more about it. all i know is it was amazing. it was pouring down rain and the mesh they used would stop u on a dime

#14 ·
traction

at blackrock in oregon we use rough split logs. think big pieces of fire wood, 2 or 3 feet long and 4"-8" wide and 3"-4" thick and if we need more traction theres the chainsaw or well placed axe hits. on whole logs you need to use the saw and make perpendicular and longitudinal cuts in a reasonable pattern and depth, just dont get saw happy.

on the use of chicken wire or nails, NO NO NO, land managers dislike it when you hammer a bunch of crap to logs, and morons like myself remove chunks of meat on thier chests when thier front tire goes off the side and they bear hug the log right where there is a roofing nail. nice scar though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.