Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

HELP - what's with the slippage (and accompanying noise?)

798 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  GirchyGirchy 
#1 ·
This could be an amateur question to the converted but here goes...

I've got my act together and this weekend built up an SS.
Sharp like a roadbike but on non-roadie terrain. Sweet! - should make commuting fun.

Problem - when I'm stomping ie uphill, my setup is making this dreadful noise - like when you mash gears shifting down. It's crap and I want to know what I can do about it.

After reading these esteemed pages, rode the Rockhopper for weeks with 42T up front and 16 behind. I went for a Singulator and convertor kit in said ratio and a singlespeed/BMX chain - like everyone seems to be.

I'm just wondering whether this is a chain issue or am I being dense??? Would I have less probs with a narrow (9spd) chain? It's not the BB, cranks or rear hub - have stripped and checked those.

All of you on SS - you da man. Am converted .
Cheers all. :)

#4 ·
slip kid

Your slippage is almost certainly caused by one, or any combination, of three things:

1. Your chain is either the wrong size or is excessively worn
2. Your rear sprocket/cog/freewheel has worn/broken teeth
3. Your front chainring has worn teeth

A loose chain can also cause slippage, but from my experience if I have new sprockets (front and rear), and a fresh chain, then my chain can be as saggy as a 95 year old woman's t*tti*s and still transfer big mashing up hills without slippage. A bad chainline can aggravate it, but usually an out of line chain just pops off or makes grinding sounds without slipping.

And chains can "look" ok and still be heavily worn/stretched (especially the rollers, which are the biggest culprit for slipping). So if you have a new spare chain around, start with that and go from there.

Good luck...

#5 ·
Are using the Singleator in the push up mode?

East peak said:
Oop - yeap - chain tension is fine - chain is as short as poss and tensioner is working just dandy. At low speed all is fine. It's just the stomping part.

Cheers for all replies.
The usual suspect in the problem you are describing is a Singleator in the push down mode skipping over the rear cog. A 16T cog doesn't allow for mush chain wrap. Try using the Singleator in the push up mode and it should help your problem.

1G1G, Brad

#6 ·
Cheers all - how do I get the tension device into push up mode?

Cheers to you all - cross4, brad, ziggy-stardust

Went out on a 20 miler through central London avoiding the Marathon - in torrential and haven't stopped grinning since!
Still had the stomping issue but as long as I spun smoothly off traffic lights, all seemed fine. Only trouble was when overtaking stationary buses etc - when one needs a bit more power :-(

Read all your replies.
The FAQ's are useful - cheers cross4
Didn't want to be tight on my first ss effort so the crank, rear cog and chain are brand new. I checked the chain line and it seemed fine when it built up yesterday.

Though am going to check out the push-up thing - cheers Brad.
At this moment in time, am in front of computer (and foolishly not in front of bike) - but how do I get the tension device into push up mode?

Thanks once again

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.