Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Some clarification on the Aireon Team...

844 views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  Ti Guy 
#1 ·
...Race saddle. First off it is NOT 140gm. It isn't even 160gm that the catalog claims (at least the catalog that I have anyway). It isn't even the 180gm that the packaging claims. Ready? According to my cheapo digi scale it weighs 192gm. To give you a reference, the Flite Genuine Gel Ti that I pulled off weighed 286 on the same scale. Weight Weenies lists that saddle at 285gm so the scale isn't too far off. The good. It DOES weigh 94gm less than my old Gel Ti. Construction looks top notch. During my initial ride around my little "set-up" loop in the woods behind my house, I was rather pleasantly suprised at the comfort level, even with street clothes it felt nice and comfy. The bad. The weight isn't what I expected. It's gaudy as hell, imagine a seat with KISS makeup.
Well, you know what they say, "If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is." Right now I'm torn on this saddle. For $30 if looks like a great deal, I just wish I knew I was getting a 192gm saddle. The true test is coming over the next two weeks as I am preriding a race course this weekend (probably do 18-20mi or so) then doing a race next weekend. I'll post again with little more time on it. If someone else comes up with a more reliable number on the weight please post it, hopefully I'm wrong about the weight.

#2 ·
Whew!, Thanks for the info

I was torn back and forth on this one. It is only $25 (on sale now), but I already have a Flite TT that's about 165 grams. I was going to order this saddle to replace the TT. Glad I didn't order it.....I would have only GAINED some weight.
Staying with the Flite TT on my new Racer X until I can locate another SLR for about $40.

KMan

DoctorJD said:
...Race saddle. First off it is NOT 140gm. It isn't even 160gm that the catalog claims (at least the catalog that I have anyway). It isn't even the 180gm that the packaging claims. Ready? According to my cheapo digi scale it weighs 192gm. To give you a reference, the Flite Genuine Gel Ti that I pulled off weighed 286 on the same scale. Weight Weenies lists that saddle at 285gm so the scale isn't too far off. The good. It DOES weigh 94gm less than my old Gel Ti. Construction looks top notch. During my initial ride around my little "set-up" loop in the woods behind my house, I was rather pleasantly suprised at the comfort level, even with street clothes it felt nice and comfy. The bad. The weight isn't what I expected. It's gaudy as hell, imagine a seat with KISS makeup.
Well, you know what they say, "If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is." Right now I'm torn on this saddle. For $30 if looks like a great deal, I just wish I knew I was getting a 192gm saddle. The true test is coming over the next two weeks as I am preriding a race course this weekend (probably do 18-20mi or so) then doing a race next weekend. I'll post again with little more time on it. If someone else comes up with a more reliable number on the weight please post it, hopefully I'm wrong about the weight.

#3 ·
X-post: Aerion Prolite???

KMan said:
I was torn back and forth on this one. It is only $25 (on sale now), but I already have a Flite TT that's about 165 grams. I was going to order this saddle to replace the TT. Glad I didn't order it.....I would have only GAINED some weight.
Staying with the Flite TT on my new Racer X until I can locate another SLR for about $40.

KMan
I know a couple guys are running the Prolite from Aerion. Has anyone confirmed the claimed weight of 173g???

#5 ·
I've responded to the other thread about these saddles, but while I was back at the store again to purchase things I forgot the previous day, I realized that the prolite is now $25. This one has the relief channel that may help comfort.

To the team race's credit, however, it feels very comfortable to me. It's on my single speed roadbike (Specialized Langster) and I did about a 35mile ride on it today; very comfy. I think my arse is made for this seat (or is it the other way around?). Then again, I also like the WTB Laser V stealth I have on the mtb...so it may be that different saddles don't bother me as much. The saddle did save me some weight and is more comfortable than the stock specialized seats (not geometry saddles...these were much cheaper), not to mention it's only $20.

Thanks to the original poster about the saddle.

Yakswak

#6 ·
Prolite weight

gofarther said:
I know a couple guys are running the Prolite from Aerion. Has anyone confirmed the claimed weight of 173g???
I weighed two of them. One was 183g and the other was 184g. You would think that the customer would be happier if they advertised it as 185g and actual weight is then lighter. Haven't tried riding it yet.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.