Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Sticky grips on...

802 views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  ToddM 
#1 · (Edited)
Sticking grips on....

Ok so I know this has been talked about before, but I couldn't find it. So if any one has a link to a thread.....
I currently use lock-on grips but will soon put on some titec pork grinds and was just wondering what the best way to stick them on, was?
Thanks

#2 ·
It depends. On a carbon bar? Some people say hairspray works great. IVe been using them on a metal bar and theyre slipping and sliding. They are comfortable though and I dont mind it. When they wear out too much Ill get some road tape grip. You should do that. Its easy to get on, cheep, and it stays put. Or, just try that hairspray or glue or whatever. If you ride with gloves, zip ties work great.

#3 ·
TheRedMantra said:
It depends. On a carbon bar? Some people say hairspray works great. IVe been using them on a metal bar and theyre slipping and sliding. They are comfortable though and I dont mind it. When they wear out too much Ill get some road tape grip. You should do that. Its easy to get on, cheep, and it stays put. Or, just try that hairspray or glue or whatever. If you ride with gloves, zip ties work great.
Sorry for the typo in the Title, it won't let me edit it.
Yeah i will be using on a Easton Alu bar.
I might just resort to glue if they don't stay put. Zip ties would tear them up, right??

#6 ·
second the hairspray method! some MXers use washing fluid, according to them it's bulletproof. but i wouldnt rely on the soapy fluid since foam grips especially and many others in general might come off when wet :(

stick to the hairspray and your grip will do so too

#7 ·
Max said:
second the hairspray method! some MXers use washing fluid, according to them it's bulletproof. but i wouldnt rely on the soapy fluid since foam grips especially and many others in general might come off when wet :(

Hmm, don't have any hairspray around. Is the cheap stuff the best stuff to use??

#8 ·
hairspray

bike_freak said:
Ok so I know this has been talked about before, but I couldn't find it. So if any one has a link to a thread.....
I currently use lock-on grips but will soon put on some titec pork grinds and was just wondering what the best way to stick them on, was?
Thanks
Hairspray. The cheapest stuff is the stickiest. I've used my GF's reject spray and it works, so much so, I can't get those buggers off for the life of me to put road tape on and change out the shifters on my other bike. They are mated to a carbon Easton Monkey-Lite.

#9 ·
Max said:

I don't know about the Pork Rinds, maybe they aren't as tight as the roadie foam tubes you cut down, but for the tubes the soapy water works great. They slide right on, it dries up, then you you are hard pressed to get them off without cutting them off.

#10 ·
I'm going to go against the hairspray grain... I use 3M spray adhesive. It's damn toxic stuff, and sort of gross to work with, but it keeps grips in place like nothing else. Just hose down the inside of the grip and slide on. I've got super long fingers, and in the past have hockey-taped my bars with about six layers to add diameter - the spray adhesive allows Ourys to slide right on, which would be a lost cause over that much tape without it. I've also used artist's clearcoat with good results.

That said, I'm switching to bolt-ons when my new carbon bars arrive this aft'.

#12 ·
Max said:
to get the grips off i insert some water under them with a needle. sometimes at several spots. then i twist them and they come off.
that's similar to the method of removing golf grips.

Before I switched to lock on grips, I'd wrap my bar with double sided adhesive, put some mineral spirits on the tape, and slide the grip on. They stay put once the spirits dry. It's the same thing I used to do when I was making golf clubs. It's the shizz.

#13 ·
personally, i use my compressor for removing the grips. 8 bar can come in quite handy if you want to take them off without cutting them. take the pistol and blow between the bar and the grip. that's it!

#14 ·
Believe it or not...

I use drug store rubbing alcohol on an Easton carbon bar. A higher percentage of alcohol to water is what you want. A few drops is all you need and it dries super fast. Once dry - no movement what so ever.

I use the same thing to remove grips. Slide a thin screwdriver under the grip and insert some alcohol and twist. Hassle free.

#15 ·
The hands down best grip adhesive I've used so far is used for attaching vanes to arrows. It's basically designed from the ground up to attach rubber to aluminum. Not just rebranded super glue or rubber cement as most grip glues are.

The brand I've had particular luck with is Bohning Fletch Tite Platium, it should work on carbon bars as well but it will not be easy to get off, if it sticks to grips like it does to fletching you can pretty well count on cutting your grips off and having to remove residue from the bars. It also contains MEK so don't snif it and use good ventilation. It's about $4 for a 3/4 ounce tube at a local sporting goods store that should do several pairs of grips.

http://www.bohning.com/store/produc...d=166&osCsid=d22e7aae42792f6bb5a12a643fbc256f

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.