Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Ecuador?

3K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  zyclopath 
#1 ·
Will be in Guayaquil, Ecuador for nine days in early April. Not sure if I will be able to get to Quito, so I was wondering if there are any day tour operators or people interested in guiding me for a day/half day trip along the coastal area. Would need a loaner or rental bike too. I remember some nice mountainous desert terrain on the way to Salinas. If you can hook a brother up, please let me know. Or if you have a ny additional helpful info, it's much appreciated. Thanks again.

#3 ·
PAMATRAIL said:
too late. I just got this forum afew days ago, but if youll comeback tell me, I dont know so much about la costa, but if you want to get to the highlands I can showyou from xc to dh, just send me a thread
PAMATRAIL - I may be coming again in the next month or two. If you're available or can point me to some shops/guides/tours, that would be great. I did see two shops that looked pretty good (Bike Stop and another in a mall - both in Guayaquil). We did make it to Quito and surrounding (Cotacachi, Octovalo). Just want to put this out there to allow for time. Thank you.

#4 ·
The Weasel - great to hear news from you!!!

So first you have to tell me if you are interested in XC or agressive AM riding/trails and also your skills and fit level so I can plan something more costumized for you.

Another thing, are you planning to get a new bike here in Ecuador? If your answer is positive I recomend you to bring your bike or to get a brand new last year SALE bike in the US cause here in Ecuador any new bike (even if its 1 or 2 years old model ) would be a couple of hundreds dollars more expensive than US msrp. Any brand would be more expensive here but santacruz bikes, they offer their bikes at the same price than in the US.

Also tell me the dates you will be here (in guayaquil and quito) so I can fix your mtb trip even better. You already know how ecuador is so also tell me if is there any inconvenience to ride a bike at 3500 metters over de sea level.

To finish, remember this year seems to be El Niño year so maybe you will see a lot of water in the lowlands, but dont worry here where I live in the highlands El Nino is not a problem;)

cheers!!

#5 · (Edited)
Pamatrail,
I got my tickets. Will be there from April 15 to 21st. Staying in Guayaquil. So far no plans to travel to Quito, but thinking about Cuenca as I have never been. We don't have any set schedule so I hope to sneak away one day to ride. I won't be bringing or buying a bike, so if you have a bike I could borrow or know of a place that rents, that would be great. I will give Bike Stop in Guayaquil a try.
As far a riding, I know this is the easiest way to get schooled, but I am a decent rider and can usually hold my own on techinical stuff. I will probably eat these words. I also recently cracked a rib so i hope to be back to rideing in the next two weeks.
Hope to meet up with you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.