Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

7.875" X 2.25" air shock?

1K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Homebrew 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a 7.875" X 2.25" air shock to replace a Romic D on my Ellsworth Id to save some weight but have been unsucsessfull. Does anyone know if a shock with those dimensions exists?

#2 ·
Im not a smart man...

Vinicius said:
I'm looking for a 7.875" X 2.25" air shock to replace a Romic D on my Ellsworth Id to save some weight but have been unsucsessfull. Does anyone know if a shock with those dimensions exists?
I don't know what the 2.25" equates to.
My Mantra uses a 7.875" shock.
I use Fox's air shocks.
DT swiss(Hugi) and Cane Creek make an air shocks in that length.

#3 ·
I have a 2000 Klein Mantra that I've been wanting to outfit with a stable-platform rear shock. Klein lists the shock as 7.875 eye-to-eye length with a 2.5-inch stroke. I simply can't find any such creature. I'm sorely tempted to just get a Progressive 5th Element Air shock in 7.875 inch length with a 2-inch stroke. Has anybody out there had experience with such a swap?

#4 ·
Vinicius said:
Nope, you will have to loose travel to go with an air shock because they are only available with a 2" stroke. Ellsworth lists this in their specs...

Rear Travel: 6 in / 5 in.
Shock Options: Air: Fox AVA R Pro Pedal 5.25", 5th Element 5.25"
Coil: Fox Vanilla RC ProPedal 6", Romic D 6"

http://www.ellsworthbikes.com/bikes/id/index.cfm

#6 ·
Yeah, I think the spec on the Klein web site is wrong about the 2.5-inch stroke. My Mantra came with a Fox Float R on it, and Fox's web site has a compatibilty chart that lists the 2000 Mantra Comp as using a 7.875-inch length with a 2-inch stroke.

Now for the 5th Element Air reliability issues: As an inveterate weight weenie, I automatically gravitate toward the 5th because it's the lightest. My impression of the reliability horror stories is that they were all from very early in the shock's production life. I am hoping that the issues had to do with "working out the bugs" in the production process, not with basic design flaws in the shock. Any comments from 5th Element Air users?

#7 ·
noslogan said:
I don't know what the 2.25" equates to.
My Mantra uses a 7.875" shock.
I use Fox's air shocks.
DT swiss(Hugi) and Cane Creek make an air shocks in that length.
The 2.25" is the size of the stroke. Depending on the frame geometry adding or subtracting stroke (can only be done by switching shocks) will have different effects on the overall rear travel. I called the guys at Cane Creek and they said if I switch from a 2.25" to a 2.00" I will lose 3/4" of travel. That's my main problem, I don't want to loose any travel. I'll keep searching... maybe the company guys will read this thread and see a market opportunity.

#10 ·
From what I heard, Progressive used sub-standard material for the main piston shaft so it would be inheriently prone to leaking. Might wait for the 05 Float which is supposed to be 228g for the 7.87x2...

http://www.mbaction.com/detail.asp?id=930

Or consider the Push Industries platform upgrade for your current Float. I had mine done and it is sooo niiiice. Cheaper than a new shock too. Personally, I would trade a couple grams for increased reliability and improved ride quality.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.