Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

EX 823 build

1K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  freerider167 
#1 ·
question, what do i need to run a UST wheelset? you need some latex seal, tires and air right? also if were were to get 823s, what size and what spokes would i need, would they need special spokes? if so where can i get them, and same thing goes to nipples.
can anyone recomend me nipples and spokes for ex 823 rims?
ANy input is much appreciated.

#2 ·
depends on the hub you use. but you will need inserts for the nipples. but if you know what hubs you will be using, i have a spoke calculator and can give you the spoke lengths you would need.

#7 ·
freerider167 said:
cool, thanks for the help! and yeah i was planning on DT swiss spokes.... but do they work for UST
yes they will work, but you need the nipple inserts for the rim. i am not sure if the rim comes with them or not.

#8 ·
got it.

ok.. so the erd is 538mm (according to dt swiss). and assuming you are using dt swiss spokes/nipples with 3x lacing w/ 32 holes, then the measurements are as follows.

front wheel:
drive side: 259.36mm = 260mm spokes
non drive: 258.48mm = 259mm spokes

rear wheel:
drive side: 258.13mm = 259mm spokes
non drive: 259.42mm = 260mm spokes

(measurements come from quality bicycle produducts online spoke calculator)

so you should just buy a box of 260 mm spokes, and that would take care of your wheelset.

heres the disclaimer: i am not very familiar with ust, and am unsure of how the nipple inserts work, and whether or not this would have a different way of measuring as compared to clinchers. so you should get a second opinion. maybe smt built his wheels. i am sure there is someone else on here who also builds their wheels. that will be a sick wheelset. i will eventually do the same, but to hugi fr hubs.

#10 ·
sflett said:
yes they will work, but you need the nipple inserts for the rim. i am not sure if the rim comes with them or not.
new UST mavic rims come with the nipple grommets. They do not come with the special splined tool you are supposed to use to put them in the rim. I built up a UST wheel and just put the grommets 3/4 of the way in by hand; then a drop of blue lock tite on the threads, then tightened them in using some small vice grips. be careful to not set the vice grips too tight, you don't want to crush the grommets! My shop buddies said they looked perfect afterwards.

Another trick, pre-assemble the nipples and grommets on the spokes & hub, then lace the grommets into the rim. it's a lot faster than assembling each one as you go.

Mavic suggests using extra-long nippples- regular length tend to get buried inside the UST grommet.

Building a UST wheel is a little more work but worth it.

#12 ·
freerider167 said:
question, what do i need to run a UST wheelset? you need some latex seal, tires and air right? .....yep

also if were were to get 823s, what size and what spokes would i need, would they need special spokes? no special spokes

if so where can i get them, and same thing goes to nipples.
can anyone recomend me nipples and spokes for ex 823 rims?
ANy input is much appreciated...........just use your regular spokes and nipples

FYI..........between the nipples and the rim is a srew in adapter that holds the Nipple and spoke.......Make sure you Blue Lock tite them......if you don't they will unscrew and be a nightmare

#14 ·
My wheel build will be the following:

Deemax Rims (Mavic 823's)
F Hub: Hadley 20mm
R Hub: Hadley 135x12mm
F Spokes: DT Swiss Competition 252mm
R Spokes: DT Swiss Champion (maybe competition) 252mm
Nipples: DT Swiss Aluminum 16mm
3 Cross Pattern for both front and rear.

#15 ·
Miko said:

beware of using aluminum nipples. the spokes are also an alloy, and using two metals of the same hardness, can cause them to bind and lock together over time. i would recommend brass as i know they are safe. i am not telling you not to use the aluminum, im just saying beware, cuz word on the street.... maybe someone who has some experience with the alloy nipples will chime in and set me straight though. :)

#17 ·
Miko said:

That's for 36h though right? Freerider167 will need longer than that for his 32h set.
Numbers for 32h with those hubs on 823's are....

Front
256.44 drive
255.52 non-drive

Rear
255.33 drive
256.73 non-drive

Tough one, as you would normally just round up, but there's not much available in 257 and if you round down you run into the same thing with 255's (unless you have some cut). If you use 16mm DT nipples (threaded all the way through, unlike Wheelsmith 16mm which have about the same amount of threading as a 12mm nipple) then you can go shorter on the spokes. In that case you could probably get away with 254/256. Other options....You could do all 256, but you'll have to correct the dish a lot more. Or you can do 256/258 but you run the risk of running out of threads on the 258 since you'd be rounding up so much.

Larry
Mountain High Cyclery
larry@mtnhighcyclery.com

#19 ·
32 holes.

DT gives the precise spoke length and a rounded length. I'm assuming the rounded length takes into account the nipple length since it's the only measure that changed when I changed the nipples. The rounded lengths were 252 and 253 so I'm picking 252mm.

#20 ·
hey freerider or whatever....

no offense, but you obviously dont sound like you could build a wheel, so just order the rims and hubs (make sure the holes match) and have the online store or LBS build it for you. They will calculate everything.

No special stuff is needed, let them do the work.

Dont buy into the lie that you have to use latex liquid. If you have a UST rim and UST tire, that is all you need. However, if you are running a non-UST tire or have a puncture in one, you need the liquid

hope that helps

#22 · (Edited)
j6105 said:
Dont buy into the lie that you have to use latex liquid. If you have a UST rim and UST tire, that is all you need.
No offense j6105, but that is really bad advice. I've been running Mavic D3.1s (now called EX 823) with Hutchison Octopus tubeless tires on my Giant AC1 for 3 years. Anyone who rides a tubeless tire in the Northwest will find themselve sitting on a flat tire in a very short time. Blackberry thorns will easily puncture your tubeless tire.

I got tired of flats, so now I put Stan's Notube in my tubeless tires, and they will easily last 2 months before I have to give them a little extra air. I've got holes all over my Hutchisons now and you can see the wet spots from the Stan's leaking through, but they never lose air pressure. I haven't had a flat tire in well over 2 years thanks to Stan's. :eek:

btw, I love my Mavic D3.1s and the tubeless tire setup. Easy to take care of and bomb proof.

#23 ·
j6105 said:
Dont buy into the lie that you have to use latex liquid. If you have a UST rim and UST tire, that is all you need. However, if you are running a non-UST tire or have a puncture in one, you need the liquid

hope that helps
you can run it without the liguid, but that would be stupid.....it is nice finishing a ride and seeing little dot holes where the stans sealed a puncture....happens more than you think...and it is nice to have a hard inflated tire instead of pushing a flat tire bike

#24 ·
So true.

Big B said:
No offense j6105, but that is really bad advice. I've been running Mavic D3.1s (now called EX 823) with Hutchison Octopus tubeless tires on my Giant AC1 for 3 years. Anyone who rides a tubeless tire in the Northwest will find themselve sitting on a flat tire in a very short time. Blackberry thorns will easily puncture your tubeless tire.

I got tired of flats, so now I put Stan's Notube in my tubeless tires, and they will easily last 2 months before I have to give them a little extra air. I've got holes all over my Hutchisons now and you can see the wet spots from the Stan's leaking through, but they never lose air pressure. I haven't had a flat tire in well over 2 years thanks to Stan's. :eek:

btw, I love my Mavic D3.1s and the tubeless tire setup. Easy to take care of and bomb proof.
While I'm sure there are some places, somewhere, that allow a rider to use UST tires without sealant, I haven't ridden on them. Obviously here in west Texas it's an absolute, but other less hostile locations still have their issues. I've had several small rock pokes that were even sealed with Stan's. As long as the hole isn't a tear or rip or just too darned big, Stan's will plug some amazingly large punctures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.