Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Rim strips question?

604 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  nino 
#1 ·
I have a pair of new crossmax xl and I was planning on mounting regular tires with sealant.
Should I also use stans rim strips or will my tires hold ok without them.. The tires are new conti escape and explorer. I will be using slime instead of latex .

Thanks,
HT

#2 ·
No Strips

HTrider said:
I have a pair of new crossmax xl and I was planning on mounting regular tires with sealant.
Should I also use stans rim strips or will my tires hold ok without them.. The tires are new conti escape and explorer. I will be using slime instead of latex .

Thanks,
HT
If I remember correctly you do not need rim strips on these wheels because the rim is already a sealed UST rim. Some one please correct me if I am wrong.

The only reason I can think of why you would use them is if the strips helps lock the standard tires in and sell the bead better. But I dont think so

#3 ·
no "real" strip BUT...

you don't need Stans rimstrips as the rims are already sealed.however without any rimstrip you will have a hard time getting the regular tires seated and inflated.
the Eclipse-UST-Tubelesskit ((M426) has that special "foam"-rimstrip which helps inflating regular tires.it weighs just 4g and does nothing else than help get the tires inflated.

you may have luck and the tires go on without anything but you definitely need a powerful compressor to inflate then.

here's the Eclipse "foam" rimstrip installed on a Crossmax rim.you can also see the special Eclipse valve which fits Crossmax rims and allows you to insert sealant through the valve stem:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.