Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Thumb shifters, anyone have any info?

856 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  ride red 
#1 ·
Hello, I tried a search but came back empty. I remember seeing some pic's of some newly made thumb shifters that someone has produced. A web page or simular please.
Thanks, Bob

#2 ·
Currently...

ride red said:
Hello, I tried a search but came back empty. I remember seeing some pic's of some newly made thumb shifters that someone has produced. A web page or simular please.
Thanks, Bob
Only ones I know of being made are the ones from Paul's.

Paul's Thumbies

I'm running a set. 132g, simple, and they seem to work pretty durn good too.

JmZ

#4 ·
pic

ride red said:
Thanks, do you use them as the main shifters or as a bar end shifter? Do you have any close clear pic's of how the are set up?

Bob
why don't you check PAUL's website, you have few pics?
anyway, here is an example of a commuter I built for a shop lately.
133 gr full set and works perfect.
didier

Attachments

#5 ·
ride red said:
Thanks, do you use them as the main shifters or as a bar end shifter? Do you have any close clear pic's of how the are set up?

Bob
Bob, I think you're missing the point of the Paul shifter setup...

Paul Thumbies are just brackets, not shifters. You then buy some barend/barcon road shifters (remove them from the brackets they come with) and attach the shifters to your Paul Thumbies brackets... which then mount onto your handlebars as normal thumbshifters used to.

The favoured shifters to use with the Paul brackets seem to be Shimano Ultegra.

#6 ·
Thank you for clearing that up, I just didnt get the full picture.

manitou916 said:
Bob, I think you're missing the point of the Paul shifter setup...

Paul Thumbies are just brackets, not shifters. You then buy some barend/barcon road shifters (remove them from the brackets they come with) and attach the shifters to your Paul Thumbies brackets... which then mount onto your handlebars as normal thumbshifters used to.

The favoured shifters to use with the Paul brackets seem to be Shimano Ultegra.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.