Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Can I lighten my Race Face Next crankset?

1K views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  DaFireMedic 
#1 ·
Hello. I have a Race Face Next crankset that I like very much. However, I'm wondering if I can lighten the load a bit by switching out rings and/or bolts. I want to keep things as simple as possible (no machining, preferably not having to mess w/ spacers; basically just slap it on and ride) as I'm not that mechanically inclined. I also don't want to suffer a decrease in shifting performance. I want to keep my current American Classic BB. It's light (listed at 155 g) and has held up well.

For the first time, I've gotten to the point that the only way I can lighten my bike w/out suffering a loss in performance is to mess w/ things like nuts, bolts, chain rings, etc! It's a sweet ride-an Ibis Silk Ti, fully decked out. I'm going to post a picture soon.

Thanks,
Craig T

#2 ·
I saved over 1/4 pound (128 grams)...

using Specialties T/A rings, generic aluminum chainring bolts, and FRM aluminum crank arm bolts.

I did add spacers to move the middle ring further from the big ring but this may not be necessary with your crank set. My middle ring was nearly 1 mm (if I remember correctly) too close to the big ring and this did cause problems with RapidFire shifting (but I'm very picky too). The spacers may not be necessary at all with GripShift (what I use now). Also, I am not sure whether my crank arms are 8 or 9 speed (my shifters are 8 speed). My wife has the same set-up and it did not require any spacers for the rings to be spaced evenly. I could just have an out-of-spec crankset -- my usual bad luck.

#3 ·
Same thing with....

B R H said:
using Specialties T/A rings, generic aluminum chainring bolts, and FRM aluminum crank arm bolts.

I did add spacers to move the middle ring further from the big ring but this may not be necessary with your crank set. My middle ring was nearly 1 mm (if I remember correctly) too close to the big ring and this did cause problems with RapidFire shifting (but I'm very picky too). The spacers may not be necessary at all with GripShift (what I use now). Also, I am not sure whether my crank arms are 8 or 9 speed (my shifters are 8 speed). My wife has the same set-up and it did not require any spacers for the rings to be spaced evenly. I could just have an out-of-spec crankset -- my usual bad luck.
Sugino rings. Just bolted them on, no spacers, and rode away. As light as the TA's and shift beautifully.

#4 ·
Thanks for the replys. Where can I get the above mentioned stuff? I tried Cambria on-line, and a couple other on-line retailers, and I couldn't find Sugino or Specialties T/A. Also, what is the specific name of the Sugino/ Specialties rings? Do you guys use the same brand for all 3 rings or is the inner a different type?

I actually found a site selling Specialties stuff, but it was really old school road stuff.

Thanks again,
Craig T

#5 ·
Here.....

Craig T said:
Thanks for the replys. Where can I get the above mentioned stuff? I tried Cambria on-line, and a couple other on-line retailers, and I couldn't find Sugino or Specialties T/A. Also, what is the specific name of the Sugino/ Specialties rings? Do you guys use the same brand for all 3 rings or is the inner a different type?

I actually found a site selling Specialties stuff, but it was really old school road stuff.

Thanks again,
Craig T
You want the Sugino Supershifter III set. The large and middle rings are aluminum and very lightweight. The small ring is steel and somewhat heavy. I replaced mine with a Vuelta 20t. I got Suginos at Bikeman.com, because they had just about the lowest price and they've always treated me very well, about $42 for the set. Aebike.com and Harris Cyclery also have them. The Vuelta rings are almost always on Ebay pretty cheap. I think Harris also has the T/A's, but I'm not sure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.