Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Looks like i wont be riding for awhile...

2K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  standard235 
#1 · (Edited)
on wednesday, i went down hard off of my skateboard. i was bombing a hill on a longboard, and my wheels slid out and caught toeside, so i flew facefirst into the asphalt going at least 25mph.the result was a compound fracture of both bones in my left arm. my doctor fixed it up with two steel plates and 11 screws, as well as a few staples for the skin. never would have happened if i was on a bike. here are the x-rays:

Attachments

See less See more
#11 ·
I can almost feel your pain, but I never needed surgery, just a bunch of ER visits. I used to be a pro skater back in the 80's and the damage it did to my arms and legs, especially my knees, brought me back to bikes. Now I ride for "rehab" purposes only.....as far as my wife knows.

I hope that everything works out perfectly for you, as I have never needed a screw per se. and I am still screwed up (pun somewhat intended) from that four wheeled demon, but the feeling of the flow and trying a new trick and sticking it for the first time after about 1000 try's is something special. Aaaahhhhh.........good times.

Get well soon, and whatever you do, dont f#ck up and push it too soon.

#12 ·
Bro I feel for ya... last year I took a fall on my skate (a pathetic one I might add...) I spiral fractured my Tibia ( leg bone) and was in a cast for 1...2...3...4...5...6..7 months rehab was a *****...

So I hope that everything goes smooth for ya and you get back on your bike as soon as possible

I feel for ya brother

#14 ·
Great, now what am I going to do?

jamie said:
Ah the skateboard days. There was only so much I could take of a rock stopping you with no notice. Hope you get better soon. Could have been worse though. In the summer of 05 a 17 year old girl about 1 hour north of my town was riding her skateboard like she did everyday, she fell hit her head and died!
Fock!!! with that, I am never going outside again. Anyone want to buy all 9 of my bikes?

#16 ·
HOFFMAN223 said:
Get well soon, and whatever you do, dont f#ck up and push it too soon.
This is so good to remember, and it's good to hear it often from others who have been there.

I'm right there with you. Broke my wrist at Fontana on Saturday. Had surgery on Wednesday (evidently I sheared off the end of the ulna and required hardware). I'm counting the days till rehab and gettting back on the bike.

Gotta remember to heal first, heal well, and not push too much too soon.

all the best,
sunny

#18 ·
One Tough Kid!

I'd like to give my perspective on this incident, as he's my little brother. He never once cried, yelled, or showed any sign of pain during the entire thing and was completely off of painkillers the day after he was out of the hospital.

My mom didn't believe him that he had broken his arm when he called to tell her he was on the way to the ER because he was so calm.

Also, the first thing he says to me when I walked in the ER was "Hey Ric, I don't think I'm going to make it to any more of the Fontana races this series." and I just started cracking up.

Get well soon Scott!!!!!!!!!!!

#20 ·
coma13 said:
I'd like to give my perspective on this incident, as he's my little brother. He never once cried, yelled, or showed any sign of pain during the entire thing and was completely off of painkillers the day after he was out of the hospital.

My mom didn't believe him that he had broken his arm when he called to tell her he was on the way to the ER because he was so calm.

Also, the first thing he says to me when I walked in the ER was "Hey Ric, I don't think I'm going to make it to any more of the Fontana races this series." and I just started cracking up.

nice to hear he was calm, because when you start freaking out it hurts even more!

haha yeah injured people say funny things sometimes. my friend broke his nose skateboarding and when he woke up from being knocked out the first thing he did was ask for his skate board. haha

another funny thing was it was night and i fell down right infront of my house skating and i hit my head and got knocked out but i woke up up when some guy who was riding his bike down my street and found me lying in the middle of the road so he just carried me into the nearest house and it ended up being mine! while he was carrying me i guess he said i asked for my skate board too but i was too dazed to know what i said lol.

a final story was when i broke 8bones in my foot racing motocross. i asked if my bike was ok cause i thought i might have hurt my new pipe lol

get well man!

#22 ·
ouchhhh man i really hop ei never have to go through somethign liek that. when you say compund fracture do you mean the bone came through the skin? if that happen to me id just tell someone to kill me righ ton the spot. good luck wiht the healign vibes.to pass time why you should practice wheel building or something haha that way once your done healign youll be a pro wheel builder

#24 ·
austinb89 said:
ouchhhh man i really hop ei never have to go through somethign liek that. when you say compund fracture do you mean the bone came through the skin? if that happen to me id just tell someone to kill me righ ton the spot. good luck wiht the healign vibes.to pass time why you should practice wheel building or something haha that way once your done healign youll be a pro wheel builder
Yeah, the bone did come out of the skin. The doc said it was hard to get them to line up because the ends of the bones were all slippery from being ground on the street!!!!! He's a gnarly dude!

#26 ·
coma13 said:

Man-Up.......................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.