Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Ok... anything missed?

790 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  VT Mike 
#1 ·

Finally got the new bike built and the first few shake out rides on it. Still a few rides left to finish that, but she's rideable.

First ride notes.

I really like the fit of the Rocky. The Jamis I was on was a hair too small for me, while the Rocky fits nice. I'd still rather have a 17", but this (an 18") will do nicely. The frame was surprisingly quick and nimble on singletrack, actually managed to fish-hook because it turned faster than I thought. Oops.

I'm still playing with air pressure in the Cane Creek and the Marz, but both are from other bikes and were great there, so just need to get 'em set up right. (Time to re-lurk in shocks me-thinks.)

Also figuring out how to set up the Avid mechanicals. No problems on trail, but still trying to get it perfect. Again, just need time.

It comes in at sub 25, barely. And hoping to better that.

Pleasant surprises from the Scott Bar, no more flex than the straight bar it replaced, and the Thumbies clicked off shifts BETTER than the XTR's that they replaced.

Parts List
Frame: Rocky Mountain Fanatic 18"
Fork: Marz Marathon 2003 Air 85mm
Headset: Stock Ritchey
Stem: Performance Forte
Bars: Scott LTF
Shifters: Pauls Thumbies
Brake Levers: Cane Creek
Grips: Nashbar Bar Tape - great for intergrated bar/end setups.
BB: Race Face Taperloc (Square)
Cranks: RF Turbines with Shimano Rings
Pedals: LegBeaters
Seat: Vetta Tublar Ti
Front Mech: Stock Deore
Rear Mech: XTR
Brakes: Avid Cables 160mm Front / 140mm Rear
Cassette: Shimano XT 8 speed
Wheel(F): Sun Sub IV/WS DB/Alloy Nips with WTB front Hub
Wheel(R): Mustang Asym/WS DB/Alloy Nips with Hugh 240 Rear Hub
Tubes: Generic lightweights
Tires: Currently IRC Mythos, will be Racing Ralphs in the VERY near future.
QR's - Bolt Ons - Steel.

Details on weight here.

Any weigh to lighten it up more without emptying out my wallet too bad? I'm almost out of ideas.

JmZ

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
How about that thing that connects the rings up front with the cogs in the back ;)

Don't forget cable's too, they are pretty significant when you are running avid discs(as well as the shifter cables).

I made myself (so you can see that I have one bike that I'm concened about the weight on) a spreadsheet that I have all of my components on, and it automatically calculates the entire weight (and converts it into pounds for us english-system *******s)...If I want to know what a certain component will change it to, it takes about 2 seconds...it's pretty cool I think.

#3 ·
suggestions...

-DeeEight sells some square tapered Ti BBs for cheap: at around 160-170g they save you 50g.
-Tune has that nice carbon bottlecage ("wassertraeger") at 9g incl. bolts and bottle.it's around 25 Euro ca. so for the money quite good savings
-Precision Proshift brakelevers weigh 120g and can be found on sale
-a aluminium lockring on the cassette saves 10g
-aluminium granny bolt - 10g
-aluminium granny ring - 20g (the XT is steel or am i wrong?)
-FRM C-set headset 83g (smooth working ,very light and reliable and decent priced)
-seatpost: either Use ,Extralite or Easton Carbon should come in at around 180-190g cut to lenght
-Syntace F99 stem 113g !
-kmc x10 chain saves 30g

#4 ·
nino said:
-DeeEight sells some square tapered Ti BBs for cheap: at around 160-170g they save you 50g.

-seatpost: either Use ,Extralite or Easton Carbon should come in at around 180-190g cut to lenght
I think D8 is out of normal spindle lengths, he only has sizes that are probably too short or too long (I could be wrong though). Still, there are other ti square taper bb's out there.

a 26.8x350mm EC70 post is 211g, 208g with a ti bolt. not sure how much would be saved cutting it to 330mm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.