Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

The Best Stem?

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  MaLoL 
#1 ·
Hello Cycling Enthusiasts,

I am curious what stems people are using or recommend for the XC race bikes.

I am currently using a Sette Edge Stem 110mm with 10 degree rise. It's around 135 grams (claimed is 125) according to weightweenies.starbike.com I use it with the EC 70 handlebar.

I recently found the 10 degree rise too high for my liking; too much of an upright position for sprinting HARD. Reversing the stem throws my entire body out of alignment.

I'm on the lookout for a 4-6 degree stem in the 110-120mm range.

I was considering the Extralite Ultra Stem (I am quite pleased with the Ultra Clamp). However, I read some posts in the weightweenie forum about those things breaking. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

And has anyone used the Syntace 99's?

Thanks and Peace.

#2 ·
514Climber said:
Hello Cycling Enthusiasts,

I am curious what stems people are using or recommend for the XC race bikes.

I am currently using a Sette Edge Stem 110mm with 10 degree rise. It's around 135 grams (claimed is 125) according to weightweenies.starbike.com I use it with the EC 70 handlebar.

I recently found the 10 degree rise too high for my liking; too much of an upright position for sprinting HARD. Reversing the stem throws my entire body out of alignment.

I'm on the lookout for a 4-6 degree stem in the 110-120mm range.

I was considering the Extralite Ultra Stem (I am quite pleased with the Ultra Clamp). However, I read some posts in the weightweenie forum about those things breaking. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

And has anyone used the Syntace 99's?

Thanks and Peace.
Haven't used the Syntace - but I've seen it on a bunch of build lists. Lighter & cheaper than the Extralite. Dirt Boy at sales.light-bikes.com can hook you up.

GF

#3 ·
FSA XC115, Syntace F99 and Extralite UltraStem

All three of these would be excellent choices. I have used all three and all feel about the same in stiffness.
The F99 is the "hottest" stem around right now and is one the lightest.
The FSA is a great value and looks better with the new styling.

The Extralite UltraStem had some minor issues with the face plate cracking (I saw 4 cases and Extralite had a total of 15 in 2 yrs+ and very sensitive to torque specs)
and Marzocchi Steer tubes causing problems in the clamping area (4 know cases.) Extralite has changes their manufacturing process the fix these issues.
The New Extralite UL 2 is claimed at 89g for the 110mm version and I will have confirmation on the weight next week.

• If you want the lightest at the highest price and best look, then Extralite.
  • If you want very light and a good cost but kind of boring, then Syntace
  • If you want somewhere in between the other, then FSA
I am using the Syntace F99 right now and I am very happy with it. So far ZERO issues.
I will be going back to the Extralite UltraStem UL2 this summer if the euro comes down!

#4 ·
Thanks!

Thanks for the tips fellas!

Dirt Boy, I will most likely place an order for the Extralites in the near future. Let us know as soon as possible on the verified weight of the UL's.

By the way, I got the Ultra Clamp last week. Very cool indeed on my black Epic and EC 70 post!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.