Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Quick update on my carbon pros.....

662 views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  Trevor! 
#1 ·
Ends up that there is no warranty to be awarded and that I will have to purchase a new non drive side crank arm. No explanation was given but considering I got the cranks for a good price to start with I am still several hundred (Australian) dollars ahead.

Problem solved, and most importantly I can race next week without actually having to worry about my crank arm falling off....

Just FWIW.
Trevor!

#2 ·
Trevor! said:
Ends up that there is no warranty to be awarded and that I will have to purchase a new non drive side crank arm. No explanation was given but considering I got the cranks for a good price to start with I am still several hundred (Australian) dollars ahead.

Problem solved, and most importantly I can race next week without actually having to worry about my crank arm falling off....

Just FWIW.
Trevor!
So it wasn't the BB? Have you tried it yet?
How much do the cranks go for Aus?

#3 ·
bike_freak said:
So it wasn't the BB? Have you tried it yet?
How much do the cranks go for Aus?
Wasn't the BB. I asked if I needed a new one and the answer was an unequivocal no.

Crankset without a BB retail fro $800-900. A replacement arm is around $200 and a replacement set at special rate would be $600.. A new set from the US would be $250-300 but I don't see any major advantages of getting a new set and also I am racing next week and don't like cutting things fine.

#5 ·
Trevor! said:

Just FWIW.
Trevor!
I'd definitely ask for more information as to why they are denying your claim. Have you emailed Erik @ FSA? FSA has always been good to me in the past and this is why I continue to buy their stuff....just bought some new FSA Teams, FSA XC115 stem, FSA Platinum Pro Ti BB, FSA Platinum Pro BB (for a teammate), etc.

If it isn't the BB, then, by process of elimination, it's the crankarm. Therefore, unless it was intentionally damaged, mis-used, etc., they should warranty it.

FWIW, as others have mentioned in your first post, there does seem to be some discrepancies in the ISIS standard amongst different companies. I've had no issues using FSA ISIS BB w/ FSA ISIS arms. But, I've seen/heard of issues running arms for company A with a BB from company B, even though they are both ISIS. Go figure. Not sure if this applies to Octalink or not, but I'd certainly press for more information. You've got nothing to loose.

#6 ·
1speed_Mike said:
I'd definitely ask for more information as to why they are denying your claim. Have you emailed Erik @ FSA? FSA has always been good to me in the past and this is why I continue to buy their stuff....just bought some new FSA Teams, FSA XC115 stem, FSA Platinum Pro Ti BB, FSA Platinum Pro BB (for a teammate), etc.

If it isn't the BB, then, by process of elimination, it's the crankarm. Therefore, unless it was intentionally damaged, mis-used, etc., they should warranty it.

FWIW, as others have mentioned in your first post, there does seem to be some discrepancies in the ISIS standard amongst different companies. I've had no issues using FSA ISIS BB w/ FSA ISIS arms. But, I've seen/heard of issues running arms for company A with a BB from company B, even though they are both ISIS. Go figure. Not sure if this applies to Octalink or not, but I'd certainly press for more information. You've got nothing to loose.
More than likely the problems stem from running the crank arm loose. Like I stated on the other post, the Shimano BB still has a tapered fit even though it's splined, if you run a crank arm loose it will destroy the arm, that's why it never stays torqued.
So they are telling you it is an installation error, probobaly never torque to spec on the original build or at least not checked and re-torque after the first ride.

#7 ·
AZ Steelhead said:
More than likely the problems stem from running the crank arm loose. Like I stated on the other post, the Shimano BB still has a tapered fit even though it's splined, if you run a crank arm loose it will destroy the arm, that's why it never stays torqued.
So they are telling you it is an installation error, probobaly never torque to spec on the original build or at least not checked and re-torque after the first ride.
If that is the case, then I agree...unfortunately, no warantee.

#8 ·
AZ Steelhead said:
This is indeed a fair statement, and if that was the case then indeed no warranty should be offered at all.

My concern is that it was installed correctly as the crankset was actually installed by my LBS when I realized I had the wrong length BB. In the first week all was well, and all was checked during rides etc.

It's so easy to state something was not installed correctly but sometimes its harder to actually prove it or not.

One argument that was provided to me was that the problem was "most likely an installation issue rather than a warranty issue" as I would have noticed the problem straight away rather than later on during riding. As much as that seems logical I cannot understand why a warranty would then last for 10 years since problems will most likely occur in the first ride or rides.

#9 ·
1speed_Mike said:

I am going to send the cranks to Erik anyhow after my race. If I didn't have a race this weekend and wasn't flying interstate for it then sure, I would have pursued the issue further but at this stage I don't have time on my side.

You'll love the team crankset. My intention will be to get a set of them when I ever get around to building a second MTB. The one thing I like about them is the carbon spider, and that if you use 2x9 visually you cannot see the unused bolts holes as they are behind the spider.

Trevor!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.