Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Paging SMT or any other tubeless people.

485 views 6 replies 3 participants last post by  mechmann_mtb 
#1 ·
Hey, whats the big deal with tubless? I know SMT always talks about it like its amazing, but what are the benefits? Also, for this christmas I might decide to go tubeless, what sort of setup should I look into?

#2 ·
A more pliable tire at the same air pressure increases traction. A little bit of weight savings. Puncture resistance.

The Stan's system has been a great for me. No flats this year. IMO don't do a ghetto conversion, get the rim strips to limit the chance for burping .

G
#3 ·
the biggest benefit to running tubeless is that you won't have issues with little things like thorns and goatheads, or my personal worst enemy the pinch flat. what you might have a problem with is sidewall cuts or BIG punctures. i run tubeless but carry two tubes with me in case of stuff like this weekend. i got a LARGE puncture from a very sharp root on Friday while hammering down SJT, and today i got a sidewall cut from a very sharp rock at the bottom of a drop near the bottom of The Luge. you can also have issues with "burping" if you ride really agressively through harsh terrain with low pressure (the tires become more resistant to burping with higher pressures).

if you get UST rims you can always just put a tube in them. UST rims are usually stronger than regular rims due to the rim integrity added from the nipple drilling process.

G
#7 ·
not necessarily :)

i ride the downs harder than some of the shuttle monkeys i see here in socal, but since i pedal up before i bomb down i don't really want to pick up all the weight of 823's so i ride 819's.

i do frequent the FR/DH forum because i have more in common with most people that post here than i do with the light weight XC weenies :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.