Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

I may be out of my mind...

604 views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  panthro 
#1 ·
So I was looking for a new fork for my 2005 MC Rumble - was shooting for a budget 7-incher like a Jr.T, or 66VF - when lo and behold, I found a MINT, unused 2004 888R at the Denver Veloswap for $300. Shi**ing myself in disbelief, I bought it. I thought I was on Candid Camera or something, I mean, it still had the masking tape over the decals, etc. Those effers retailed for three times that.

Anyways, now I have an 8 inch DC on a hardtail. Surprisingly, it isn't TOO choppered out. The chainstays are just a tick off being parallel to the ground.

I've never ridden a DC before, is this overkill? Christ that thing is huge.

#2 ·
panthro said:
So I was looking for a new fork for my 2005 MC Rumble - was shooting for a budget 7-incher like a Jr.T, or 66VF - when lo and behold, I found a MINT, unused 2004 888R at the Denver Veloswap for $300. Shi**ing myself in disbelief, I bought it. I thought I was on Candid Camera or something, I mean, it still had the masking tape over the decals, etc. Those effers retailed for three times that.

Anyways, now I have an 8 inch DC on a hardtail. Surprisingly, it isn't TOO choppered out. The chainstays are just a tick off being parallel to the ground.

Do you have pics? I can't believe an older 888 without the flat crowns would go well on a hardtail. It must be a bit*h to steer on flat ground.

#3 ·
Micnap said:
Do you have pics? I can't believe an older 888 without the flat crowns would go well on a hardtail. It must be a bit*h to steer on flat ground.
No pics yet, still in the middle of building it. I'm going to ride around my parking lot once its done to see if it is just too ridiculous. If so, I'll probably just sell it and get a 7 inch single crown. Looks like it might work though!

#4 ·
panthro said:

this is an omen. get a good FS to go with that fork.

#7 ·
I know - I feel like it might be an omen...too bad following through with it would set me back around $800. I can't do that right now. :(

In the meantime, I am going to fashion a shim out of aluminum foil and beer cans for my handlebar (25.4) so it can fit on the integrated stem (31.8). Just so I can test ride it outside and see if I feel like Peter Fonda or not. Didn't get a bar because I might end up selling the fork.

Not gonna go with flat crowns because I don't really want to sink $100 extra into the fork - gotta keep the marriage going...LOL

#8 ·
j_a_k_e_69@hotmail.com said:
my handlebars on my HT are at the same height as my buds demo 9, I love the way my bike feels too
Hey Jake,

It looks like your Jr. T is really working for you on the P.2. Can you corner and jump OK with that kind of set up? That's my big concern. I know drops and downhilling are going to be a wet dream with this fork, but I want to be able to rail the turns too and send it off the kickers and waterbars without doing involuntary backflips. I'm going to run the recommended sag on the fork, so that will bring the handlebar down a little.

By the way, I really dig your posts, they're candid and realistic. I agree with your opinion on SSVF.

#10 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
don't bother just sell it for 700 bucks and buy a z-1 or dirt jumper for 300 and then spend 400 dollars somewhere else
You know, I was thinking about doing that...BUT...I just rode it around outside and it is perfect. I know it flies in the face of all logic, but apparently MC Rumble geometry adapts really well to longer travel forks.

With the middle crown at its lowest setting, a 1.5 inch riser, and the low stack height/low rise MZ integrated stem, the handlebar height is almost the same as it was with my old Z1 FR3, 2" riser and 90mm x 8degree block-style stem.

As an aside, I did some research and measuring and, interestingly, the 2004 888R has a slightly lower A/C height than the 2005 66 series 7-inch forks - stock crowns and all - and it has one more inch of travel.

I'm definitely going to keep the 888 because it works just right now, and will mate well with a FS frame later. ;)

#12 ·
I have a stupidly long super t on my AC frame, and for a while, I was worried I would rip the bike in half. I've discovered it's best not to think about that sort of thing.

Just make sure you are really aggressive about getting your shoulders over the bar and pushing down into the travel as you come into corners. It takes a little getting used to, but once you get the weight transfer figured out, you'll corner like a demon and suck up the big hits on the straight sections.

#13 ·
skatetokil said:
I have a stupidly long super t on my AC frame, and for a while, I was worried I would rip the bike in half. I've discovered it's best not to think about that sort of thing.

Just make sure you are really aggressive about getting your shoulders over the bar and pushing down into the travel as you come into corners. It takes a little getting used to, but once you get the weight transfer figured out, you'll corner like a demon and suck up the big hits on the straight sections.
Thanks for the tip, I'll make sure to try it when I take it out for the first time. You see a lot of guys getting over the handlebars like that in the videos. Good point.

#14 ·
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
best to mate w/FS now....geometry will weken other bike....snapped headtubes suck for the face and head
I think I'm going to try and contact MC and ask them if they think the headtube gusset can handle a DC. I know Twisted had/has? a DC fork on one of his Rumbles, and I'm not sure, but he may even work for MC.

The Rumble has a pretty massive HT gusset. It's no Morphine HT job, but it's pretty beefy.

Anyways, thanks for pointing that out - I sure as hell don't want a face full of shrapnel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.