Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bringing shame and disgrace to the singlespeed community

3K views 41 replies 35 participants last post by  Philber 
#1 ·
As if I don't do that just by riding a singlespeed bike. But this past weekend, I took part in my first ever MTB race. Scratch that, make it my first race ever, nevermind that it was on a MTB.

Anyway, I'd decided about a week before that I was going to do this. In other words, no training whatsoever, no dietary considerations, no athletic ability whatsoever, no nothing. And I chose to ride my Surly 1x1 so that I could minimize any mechanical issues out there. My goal was to finish, not place. It's called being realistic. The single greatest fear I had was to blow up while in the woods and have to have someone haul my sorry ass out of there.

And so off I went. The only idiot riding a singlespeed bike in the beginner class. Everyone rocketed off ahead of me - kids, older riders, women, a blind hunchback with a club foot, hamsters, they all shot past me. I paced myself, took my time. I was going to cruise...! Well, it turns out that I completed underestimated the race course. It was brilliantly technical. So brilliant and so technical that I found myself walking half the time, and not just uphill. Rocks, tightly wound trees, steep inclines, more rocks, even more rocks, and yeah, rocks. I didn't know my way around and I stink as a rider - hell of a combination in a race, I tell ya.

But I finished. The only idiot riding a singlespeed in the beginner class came home dead last. The winner won the race in under an hour. Everyone else came in between an hour and an hour and a quarter. I was about 30-seconds shy of two hours. My God, do I suck. I knew I sucked but I had no idea just how badly I sucked. I mean, I SUCKED!!

Everyone was terribly supported and said that my singlespeed probably slowed me down considerably. Thing is, the lack of gears wasn't really an issue, it was flat-out riding skill. Of which I have none. All I know is that I'm constantly hearing stories about how singlespeed riders go out there and kill the races. They blow everyone away. They come out tops constantly. And here I am, bucking the trend in the most unspectacular fashion.

So there - a bloody disgrace to the singlespeed community. Ugh, I suck.

See less See more
#3 ·
So what ? Did you not have fun ? I cramped up like crazy in the last lap but still had a bunch of fun, that course is awesome; believe it or not all of it is rideable.

Now at least you know where to improve :) It's not for show, actually riding any kind of trail at a decent pace is a lot more fun, you'll see. I ride alone all the time (except when racing) so I could care less about my style or whether or not people are watching when I clear a rock garden (or crash lamely), it's about making progress so that riding is more fun all the time.

Also racing makes you improve faster.

Maurice

#5 ·
No Shame

This year I entered 1 race (my first ever) with almost no prep. We were a 2-man team in a singlespeed 7 lap race. I think there were 5 teams and we finished, uh, fifth. I was amazed how strong the winners were. They just cranked!
Still had fun and after a couple of days rest, I was noticeably stronger on the road bike!

#9 ·
that is awesome...we are all very proud of you. hell, most people dont bother racing and no doubt everybody in the beginner class you raced should have been in the expert. this story inspires me for my upcoming race in 2 weeks where my placement should be sure to make you feel better about your results.......i only hope i can finish as you did

#11 ·
good job Des!

you finished in one piece and you had fun - that's all that matters

I'll do you one better. After having done about two races in the past ten years, I decided I could handle "sport" class at Ringwood three weeks ago. I thought I could handle two laps since I usually ride for two hours at a clip when i go. No training or road work, just ride about once a weekend if I'm lucky.

I was dead last (in every age group) until halfway through the second lap when I mangaed to pass a couple of people back. Bottom line - I had fun and I will do it again but beginner class next time. I rode my squishy, but I'm thinking of riding my SS next time

cheers

#14 ·
Sucking is temporary
Quitting is forever

I have to admit to quitting more races than DFL'ing.

Sometimes it's good to see on the results page just how bad you suck. Puts your attention more on enjoying your riding.
My last race I DFL. On a 29" gearie in a field of mostly 26" gearies and a 26" SS (my buddy the reigning Dutch SS Champ). Hands down I rode the bet bike in the field. Flew over the winding singletrack. Still 70th/70.

From here, the only way is up!

#16 · (Edited)
Be proud of yourself.......

SpinWheelz said:
The only idiot riding a singlespeed bike in the beginner class. QUOTE]

I'll bet 25 percent of those beginner class riders were sandbagging, and should be riding sport.

I've raced before, but never on my SS. I was going to do my first this year but chickened out and rode my gearie. My goal next year is to do a race on my SS. Don't be so hard on yourself. I have a feeling next year you'll be passing the hunchbacks and the hamsters easy.... ;)

#17 ·
HAHA! I also did my first ever race this summer, also on a single speed. They actually had a class for the 3 of us and made us start with the women experts...the other two guys actually rode wheelies off the starting line, needless to say i never saw them again, i was able to hang with the expert women for about 100yards! Then just tried to keep pedaling...i will try again though!

#19 ·
Cheers for the words, fellas. FoShizzle, your enthusiasm is weirding me out a bit - did you miss the part where I came in dead effin' last by a HUGE margin? I'm pretty sure you'd fare much better in your race. You might even beat the hunchback with the club foot! And chuffer, I think it's glaringly apparent that racing isn't my bag. I'll continue to take part in races as an exercise in pushing myself farther. I'll continue because it's fun to meet up with other riders, even if it's just for that brief moment at the starting line before they all rocket off ahead of me. Beside, I feel that if I play cards right, I'll have a proper job at all these races - moving chicane. I'll be the Minardi of mountain bike races!

pacman, there were plenty of other singlespeed riders, all on pretty fancy-schmancy, racy rigs. They all rode in Sport and Pro class. There was a singlespeed-specific class that ran also (which rode with the Sport class). I know my limits and I know when I'm out of my league, hence my riding in the Beginner class. I was out of my league in Beginner, but what the hell. Someone needed to represent the single cog community out there. This was my turn, I guess.

#20 ·
SpinWheelz said:
FoShizzle, your enthusiasm is weirding me out a bit - did you miss the part where I came in dead effin' last by a HUGE margin? I'm pretty sure you'd fare much better in your race. You might even beat the hunchback with the club foot!
SpinWheelz, you are not fooling anybody my friend. I know your type.....you are like the hustler at the pool hall who pretends they are a hack just to get somebody to play against you and then you take their money! We all know next time you will smoke the crowd when they see you coming and let their guard down.

#22 ·
so if you went out and practiced on that course (like everyone else probably did) you'd do a lot better? sounds like something to work on for next year.

in my first race i came in DFL on trails i ride almost every weekend (i got to the end as the course marshalls were taking down the finishing line, i had somone ride up to me on an ATV near the end going, "OH.... there's still someone out here?") don't be so hard on yourself. ;)

#23 ·
FoShizzle said:
that is awesome...we are all very proud of you. hell, most people dont bother racing and no doubt everybody in the beginner class you raced should have been in the expert. this story inspires me for my upcoming race in 2 weeks where my placement should be sure to make you feel better about your results.......i only hope i can finish as you did
FoShizzle, Would this be Bonelli? If so I'll see you there. My first race and I'm planning on doing it SSpeed too. Maybe afterwards, I can start the SS-DFL club with Spinwheelz.

#24 ·
actually, it is the 24 Hours of Chamberlain Ranch race in the Santa Ynez valley. Fortunately, my other team members (3 of em) will make up for my sorry arse.....and to make matters worse, not only did I not ride last weekend but I now have a damn head cold! I am gonna die!

I will be happy if I can finish even one lap before having to crawl up in the fetal position

#25 ·
FoShizzle said:
actually, it is the 24 Hours of Chamberlain Ranch race in the Santa Ynez valley. Fortunately, my other team members (3 of em) will make up for my sorry arse.....and to make matters worse, not only did I not ride last weekend but I now have a damn head cold! I am gonna die!

I will be happy if I can finish even one lap before having to crawl up in the fetal position
Your team mates will be happy too, you're required to do at least one lap. :rolleyes: But we know you're sandbagging. :)

#26 ·
No Shame.

This was your first race! Finishing and having fun should be priority one; otherwise you won't ever do it again.

I started racing 5 years ago. I suffered so much at my first race. I still remember thinking to myself, 'I don't think I'm meant to do this'. I did have fun and I didn't quit.

Well, in past 5 years of racing, I've only won 1 race out of 75+ races. In all of those races, I NEVER quit; although many I had wanted to.

Today, I still suck. I just suck less than before and in some races I suck more than others. The important thing is to have fun. But what I've learned is racing ISN'T just about fitness. It's also about technical skill, safety, nutrition, luck, commeraderie, but mostly about just having fun. Heck, why else are you racing?

One other important thing about racing is KNOWLEDGE of the course. Pre-ride as much as you can. You can plan your attacks, recoveries, what areas you'll walk and which ones you'll blaze. Pretty soon, you'll still feel like you suck (like me) but you'll find yourself on the podium a heck of a lot!

Looking back now at my competitors in my first race; they blew me away. Today, even on my SS, they can't keep up. But the best thing is; these people have become some of my best friends.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.