Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

A good $1000-1600 frame

1K views 31 replies 20 participants last post by  SHIVER ME TIMBERS 
#1 ·
free-rider_down-hiller said:
Whats a good $1000-1600 frame for freeride that has between 6 1/2 and 8 inches of travel yet still pedals pretty well?

thanks in advance
used VP Free...............

#5 ·
um...........alright i just cant decide on which frame i want to build up.
save your cash and buy a complete used bike...........then buy a new bike next year.....don't pull an O~HI~O on us and buy new stuff you don't like....save your cash buy used

#10 ·
ok dude, just get a freakin weyless 67 frame for dirt cheap and build that up, ur obviously not good enough for the banshee scream which u proposed earlier (sorry to burst your bubble) and i dont think u need a 5000 bike. If u think a 5000 will make u go bigger and make u better your dead wrong...
Unless u want a sweet bike that will impress your friends until they realize u cant do anything with it, then go ahead and buy that scream or RMX or VPX or whatever. I can assure you that a used bike can handle much more than you think it can and even the weyless 67 which is a relatively cheap frame (but i really like mine) can take much more than you are going to throw at it. It seems like every 2 days you come up with another bike that u want and u post it up, I know its a hard decision but make up your freakin mind. I would suggest buying a complete set-up just because you wont run into the problem of compatability with your stuff. Anyways, thats my 2 cents

#14 ·
ilikepinkbikes said:
ok dude, just get a freakin weyless 67 frame for dirt cheap and build that up, ur obviously not good enough for the banshee scream which u proposed earlier (sorry to burst your bubble) and i dont think u need a 5000 bike. If u think a 5000 will make u go bigger and make u better your dead wrong...
Unless u want a sweet bike that will impress your friends until they realize u cant do anything with it, then go ahead and buy that scream or RMX or VPX or whatever. I can assure you that a used bike can handle much more than you think it can and even the weyless 67 which is a relatively cheap frame (but i really like mine) can take much more than you are going to throw at it. It seems like every 2 days you come up with another bike that u want and u post it up, I know its a hard decision but make up your freakin mind. I would suggest buying a complete set-up just because you wont run into the problem of compatability with your stuff. Anyways, thats my 2 cents
wow dont go all spazy because you had to look for a cheap frame so you could afford good components some of us can buy the stuff we want and i never said i was looking for a $5000 bike (but if i did want one i could just go out and buy it) i also never said an expensive bike would make me a better rider. Another thing is the reason i didnt want a Scream was i didnt want a 50 lb bike and i wanted to run a single crown fork anyways.

#17 ·
Dude,
just buy 100-150 Wal-Mart bikes. That way when you break them you 1.)still have a quiver of bikes to choose from 2.) you can boost your post count with each new "I'm so bad I broke ANOTHER bike" story 3.) same thing for all the "chicks dig scars" stories 4.) after all the carnage you can convince yourself that you really need that Scream after all.

:)

#18 ·
wow dont go all spazy because you had to look for a cheap frame so you could afford good components some of us can buy the stuff we want and i never said i was looking for a $5000 bike (but if i did want one i could just go out and buy it) i also never said an expensive bike would make me a better rider. Another thing is the reason i didnt want a Scream was i didnt want a 50 lb bike and i wanted to run a single crown fork anyways.
I really couldn't give a **** about your horrible posting. But every time you talk about how rich you are it makes me want to slap the **** out of your pompous ass. Let me quote Outkast for this one: "Cuz you brag bout that watch and all them things that you got, them dirty boys gon' turn your pound cake to red velvet."

Where do you live BTW?

#19 ·
coma13 said:
I really couldn't give a **** about your horrible posting. But every time you talk about how rich you are it makes me want to slap the **** out of your pompous ass. Let me quote Outkast for this one: "Cuz you brag bout that watch and all them things that you got, them dirty boys gon' turn your pound cake to red velvet."

Where do you live BTW?
no i was just saying that because ilikepinkbikes was spazing out.

And i live in Sewickly PA

#22 ·
What about a Trasition DirtBag? It's only a grand, can take just about anything you could throw at it, and will peddal very well. Did I mention it's only $999. A Yeti AS-X would also fit your bill relativly well.

#23 ·
drum714 said:
What about a Trasition DirtBag? It's only a grand, can take just about anything you could throw at it, and will peddal very well. Did I mention it's only $999. A Yeti AS-X would also fit your bill relativly well.
thanks ya i was thinking about a DirtBag awhile ago and yeah they are pretty sweet so idk
im still deciding.

Thanks for the helpful posts though.

#24 ·
thanks ya i was thinking about a DirtBag awhile ago and yeah they are pretty sweet so idk
im still deciding.

Thanks for the helpful posts though.
I am planning...or should I say dreaming of getting a dirtbag frame. Unfortunately I don't have 5 grand just hanging around like you claim to spend on a bike.

Sorry to steal your thread man, but what complete bike would you guys suggest for a 6'2, 230 lb rider, mostly freeride. I definately haven't done any of the 10+ foot drops I see some of you guys doing on here, but I think one of the reasons is my current bike is holding me back, so I would like one that can handle the larger drops/gaps. Looking for $2000 range. Right now I have my eyes on a Kona Stinky. Any comments welcome! thanks guys...

#25 ·
im not spazzing here, im just saying that u post up another option of yours every other day and its getting slightly annoying. Everyeon tells u something u should look into but then the next day u bring up smething else and yet pretty much everyone still tells u the same thing. But i guess since ur mommy can pay for any kind of bike u want, u might aswell go all out and purchase an RMX with a Fox 40 and dee max's and any other extremely expensive component u can find cause hey, your not the one paying for it . Maybe once u start earning your own money ull realize what it means to get a good bike. But by all means, if u took the time and effort to work up that money then you deserve that bike u want. And once again, thats just my 2 cents

#26 ·
ilikepinkbikes said:
im not spazzing here, im just saying that u post up another option of yours every other day and its getting slightly annoying. Everyeon tells u something u should look into but then the next day u bring up smething else and yet pretty much everyone still tells u the same thing. But i guess since ur mommy can pay for any kind of bike u want, u might aswell go all out and purchase an RMX with a Fox 40 and dee max's and any other extremely expensive component u can find cause hey, your not the one paying for it . Maybe once u start earning your own money ull realize what it means to get a good bike. But by all means, if u took the time and effort to work up that money then you deserve that bike u want. And once again, thats just my 2 cents
actually i like the transition dirtbag there sweet and im not trying to spend as much money as i can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.