Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Wheelie drop- what's the key??

1K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  hardcore newbie 
#1 ·
Shwaa said:
I think this move is so sweet looking when done correctly. What is secret? For the record, I can wheelie about 5-10 feet max :) Do I need to perfect that first, to move on to wheelie drop?

thanks
you don't need to perfect a wheelie first, but fyi, it would be pretty hard doing a wheelie drop sitting down like a wheelie.

right about you're about to go off the drop pull up and pedal like half a kick. land on your back wheel, and then let the front drop gradually.

#2 ·
get into a gear which requires only one crank to get the wheel up and practice! try to keep the pedals level when coming off. before i leared to do it right i used to pedal through out the whole thing and my feet would often slip off and cus i was landing with the feet in wierd posistons and that kept me from trying bigger ones. practice and ull get it

#7 ·
You don't need to wheelie, but spend some time fartin around in the driveway in middle or granny, just getting the feel of pulling the front wheel up in a controlled manner. Practice rolling up to obstacles and lofting the front wheel on to them. Once you are comfortable with that, practice it from a stall. When you can wheelie from a stall, start doing that off curves & such then gradually going bigger. Learning to use your brakes is key to this, you can actually preload the bike from a stall to "leap" off an obstacle Then, when you land, you can grab the brakes and set up for the next drop. Trials guys are masters at this sort of thing, but learning to ride slow, balance, & control your bike sure opens up alot of technical stuff to the avg mtb rider.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.