Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Helmet Cam Crashing!

1K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  oly 
#1 ·
check it out, some footage from yesterdays ride- a few crashes, some fun hucks, and lots of fun twisties. Contains profanity and killer music. Click on the link below- from the page download "Galbraith_sm.mov". It's 35mb and 4 minutes.

(PC users, please r-clck and select "save target as")

#2 ·
Hey, the editing has come a long way, baby! I dig the soundtrack too. The bounce is a bit annoying still. I guess there is no way around that short of having a whole camcorder on your head which can employ image stabilization optics or digital processing. You may look around for a wider angle lense adapter too. Those work really well at increasing the perceived speed, and let everyone have a good look at the surroundings...

Keep it up.

#3 · (Edited)
Thanks for the feedback Tscheezy! Interesting on the bounce- the camera does have image stabilization, I did notice a bit less bounce when I kept the camera unit inside my camelback. But I have been running it attached to my chest strap in front, that way it's easier to turn on/off.

Edit- One other thing that's interesting, the full quality DV is much smoother, less jumpy. (and like 2gb as well!) It's almost as if exporting to quicktime @ CD-quality removes every other frame or something. I think what you are noticing could be more from quicktime compression than the camera? Something for me to look into....

tscheezy said:
Hey, the editing has come a long way, baby! I dig the soundtrack too. The bounce is a bit annoying still. I guess there is no way around that short of having a whole camcorder on your head which can employ image stabilization optics or digital processing. You may look around for a wider angle lense adapter too. Those work really well at increasing the perceived speed, and let everyone have a good look at the surroundings...

Keep it up.

#5 ·
Thanks for that. Im sure the light by my name up in the IS Dept is blinking after downloading that along with Deep creek. VIOLATOR! Oh well, rules are made to be broken.

Great vids. The music in the Galby video was.... Odd, but fitting. I really like the Deep Creek vid music also. Both made me want to ride. I need to get back to Galby sometime. Ive been once and it wasnt a great ride. It had some great areas, but too much road, and was really wet and choppy. Your vid showed me its not always like that.... :)

Yesterday Skookum and I did the Blue Lake, Yozoo, Hamilton buttes trail ride (25 miles from randle towards Adams). I was thinking how cool it would be to vid cam the Hamilton DH. It has to be one of the best DH's Ive ridden so far...even Tim agreed and he rides alot.... Its about 4 miles down on super sick moto singletrack. Flowy bermy trail with moto whoops to pump, and float over. Views beyond belief, and FAT berries everywhere.... MMMM

Look for Skookums report in the washington forum.

#6 ·
That Yazoo Trail looks killer. I'll have to hit that!

hey Oly, maybe we can hook up for some of that snoqulamie-area riding sometime?

fyi, the discography:
(Video: Artist, Song)
Galbraith mtn: Plankton man vs. Terrestre, "Yepa"
Deep Creek: White Stripes, "Black math"
(whistler) Industrial Yodas: Gorillaz, "White Light"
(whistler) Khyber Pass: Primal Scream, "Shoot speed / Kill Light"

oly said:
Thanks for that. Im sure the light by my name up in the IS Dept is blinking after downloading that along with Deep creek. VIOLATOR! Oh well, rules are made to be broken.

#8 ·
It was the saturday of crankworx, we met up top of the garbonzo lift and then started climbing from there, that got us back in time for festivities. So no, we didn't climb up from the valley... . After riding cheakamus challenge last year, I don't feel very guilty about the occasional lift/shuttle!

The next day we rode the westside and filmed the other video- up the flank trail, down industrial disease and yoda's, etc... (I like the cheap thrills route much better....) That was the middle day of a 6-day riding trip for most of the guys- I only made it up for 2. Good times... as documented in the vid...

might pull a sicky on thursday and ride fromme with my Van buddy!

Brodiegrrl said:
dig the kyber vid!

When did you do that?

I hope you took the honest route up...

#10 ·
I'm going to play with that tonight!

No doubt, the uncompressed files look smoother & way better... burned to DVD...but they are like 4x the size. I would be stoked to find a codec that works better for the web, there's going to be a show-down at my house tonight, Mp4 vs. .Mov!

shanedawg said:
Hey FM, have you tried exporting to mpeg-4? I heard it reduces the file size a lot. Better compression means you could add more fps for the same size vid.

#11 ·
Cheap thrills is a much better trail then industrial disease.
Lee rode Babylon couple months ago. I haven't done it from above the microwave tower since we usually ride up... Thought about heading to kyber last thursday after the 5th garbanzo run but....

PM me if you're up riding Fromme on Thursday. If Lee and I aren't heading to Rossland I may join you!

Have you ridden Gargamel yet? Or PhD?

#12 ·
yeah I agree- I love cheap thrills, maybe my favorite trail ever! Love that roller slab! YUMMY!

babylon's pretty crazy, very steep. The other dudes did ride-don't-slide after I left, sounds similar...I haven't ridden gml yet, we planned on riding it the day we did industrial but changed our minds due to the heat that day & exposed climbing. I'd love to hit it though, maybe next trip up....

check your email/PM's wednesday night!

Brodiegrrl said:
Cheap thrills is a much better trail then industrial disease.
Lee rode Babylon couple months ago. I haven't done it from above the microwave tower since we usually ride up... Thought about heading to kyber last thursday after the 5th garbanzo run but....

PM me if you're up riding Fromme on Thursday. If Lee and I aren't heading to Rossland I may join you!

Have you ridden Gargamel yet? Or PhD?

#13 ·
Damn dude, you got some gnarly terrain there! In iMovie I now use (Quicktime Expert Settings)
Movie to MPEG-4
Options...
MP4 H.264
320X240
768Kb/s
Frame Rate 30

The image stabilization of my camera works really well (almost too well). And I like to hear the trail/bike noise (except for my seat creaking). Check out the beautiful 50-Year Trail in Tucson, AZ: http://www.sirbikesalot.com/AZ05/AZ05.html

PC users be aware -- you need QT 7 for this, currently only available as a beta from Apple.

FM said:
check it out, some footage from yesterdays ride- a few crashes, some fun hucks, and lots of fun twisties. Contains profanity and killer music. Click on the link below- from the page download "Galbraith_sm.mov". It's 35mb and 4 minutes.

(PC users, please r-clck and select "save target as")

#14 ·
Hey man, nice video! I love dessert riding. Very cool site too, thanks for the info. I had a bunch of questions for you, but your site answered most of them. Good stuff!

PS, how did you decide on these export settings? Trial and error? I tried exporting my Galbrieth mtn video with these settings, and a few others to compare....getting closer but still looking for the right balance of file size, picture quality, and smoothness. My lighting conditions and raw footage quality aren't very forgiving.......

sirbikesalot said:
Damn dude, you got some gnarly terrain there! In iMovie I now use (Quicktime Expert Settings)......

#15 ·
Thanks. I used trial and error until Apple released QT 7 with H.264 (MPEG-4 Part 10). Now H.264 is all I'm going to use from now on because it gives the best trade-off in terms of quality and file size.

iMovie gives you a lot of options for exporting. But if you open your movie in Quicktime Pro you can also export it from there and you get even more options. All the options can be confusing. When you export you can change the brightness level. You can also add text and have two movies playing side by side or picture in picture.

FM said:
Hey man, nice video! I love dessert riding. Very cool site too, thanks for the info. I had a bunch of questions for you, but your site answered most of them. Good stuff!

PS, how did you decide on these export settings? Trial and error? I tried exporting my Galbrieth mtn video with these settings, and a few others to compare....getting closer but still looking for the right balance of file size, picture quality, and smoothness. My lighting conditions and raw footage quality aren't very forgiving.......

#17 ·
Sounds like you probably met my buddy Barry- he's on a red spot with a Z1 fork. I ride a black RFX.... The next week is booked for me, but I'll be in touch! ;)

SirBikes, I read all about QT7... going to DL tonight. Thanks again for the tips!

oly said:
FM-

Yea, we should hook up some time. Did we meet once at Lk Sawyer? I ride a black anno 5-spot with red custom Turner stickers.... You ride a red 5-spot? I forget if that was you.....

Great vids! Again, making work very tough to focus on.....

#18 ·
FM said:
Sounds like you probably met my buddy Barry- he's on a red spot with a Z1 fork. I ride a black RFX.... The next week is booked for me, but I'll be in touch! ;)

SirBikes, I read all about QT7... going to DL tonight. Thanks again for the tips!
Oh, ok... cool. I'll be busy for a while on the weekends. Have Family days this weekend,, then anneversary, then a race.... Hows late september?? lol.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.