Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New X5 + week in Moab = Killer Fun

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  mtn_man2 
#1 ·
I built up a my new X5 the night before I left for Moab and it was well worth every penny spent. The thing rides like a dream and pedals incredibly well, much better than I expected. After spending a whole week riding it I have no complaints thus far. I have a movie of a drop on Amasa Back but don't know how to load it. If you guys know how let me know so I can share it. I didn't spend top dollar on parts and it still weighs only 28.75.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
mtn_man2 said:
I built up a my new X5 the night before I left for Moab and it was well worth every penny spent. The thing rides like a dream and pedals incredibly well, much better than I expected. After spending a whole week riding it I have no complaints thus far. I have a movie of a drop on Amasa Back but don't know how to load it. If you guys know how let me know so I can share it. I didn't spend top dollar on parts and it still weighs only 28.75.
Could you list the part spec and where did you get from? Thanks

#4 ·
I'll post mine too for comparison

Large X5, double bearings, Romic, 650lb spring.

-Talas RLC
-Taper bottom bracket, standard size Race Face Turbine cranks (cheap heavy bb)
-mallet c pedals
-760 XT cassette
-Hayes hfx-9, 8" front, 6" rear
-Syncros alloy seatpost 425mm
-WTB laser seat
-Azonic 105mm ORS stem
-Monkey lite 26" carbon riser
-King headset
-Bontrager valiant rims
-Real front hub
-WTB speed disc rear hub
-x9 shifters and rear derailleur
-xt front derailleur
-WTB 2.4 mutanoraptor / Hutchinson 2.1 python

31.25lbs

-Sp

redranger said:
Could you list the part spec and where did you get from? Thanks

#5 ·
mtn_man2 said:
Sweet!! Glad to hear that you got it built up in time and that you had a good trip. It looks great! Talk to you soon.
Larry Mettler
http://www.mtnhighcyclery.com

#6 ·
Parts List

Of course I forgot the most important part of this whole puzzle. The man who made this bike possible, Larry Metler at Mountain High Cyclery. Larry is a great guy and if you need a new bike you should go to him rather than any other online bike retailer. So here is the build:

Small X5 w/ double bearings
Fox Vanilla RLC
Hayes HFX-9 brakes (wanted juices but couldn't wait that long)
Hassefelt Triple Cranks
RF Evovle BB
Mallet pedals
XT rear
Deore front
CC S-2 HS (couldn't spend the extra for the king)
LX shifters
Thompson post
RF stem
Hellbent Bars
Yeti Lock-ons
San Marco Sattle
Crappy wheel set from another bike(will soon change to something better built to XT hubs)

I think that's about it. I had some stuff lying around that I threw on it but most of it is new. I'm sure I'll get crap for not running a CK HS but that's fine. The bike rocks. I took a 4 footer in Moab and it was just a nice plush landing. If you are considering a Turner 5-Spot get an X5 instead. You will most likely get it quicker too.
Thanks again Larry.

#7 ·
Sounds like a nice bike, and the fact that it doesnt weigh much with the parts you listed means you can drop a few pounds if desired. Can you tell me how tall you are? You mentioned that its a small frame and thats what I ride, Im about 5' 6-7" tall with a 29" inseam, its hard to find bikes that fit anymore. Thanks.

#8 ·
Here's what Larry and I decided...

ride red said:
Sounds like a nice bike, and the fact that it doesnt weigh much with the parts you listed means you can drop a few pounds if desired. Can you tell me how tall you are? You mentioned that its a small frame and thats what I ride, Im about 5' 6-7" tall with a 29" inseam, its hard to find bikes that fit anymore. Thanks.
I'm 5'9, 140 pounds and usually ride a 15" frame in just about any bike. I could probably ride a medium X5, but am super happy with the small. I have a DH background and like to throw a bike around. We both decided that a small frame would be best. I have a 400 lb. spring on the romic now, but forgot to take the 500 along on my trip. I will need to throw it on and see how I like a stiffer spring or not. I think you should go with a small frame, but you could always contact Larry Metler at www.mtnhighcyclery.com for an expert opinion. Good luck with your hunt. And yes, I was totally stoked on the weight. It was pretty surprising actually. If you have any other questions for me just let me know.

Ride on

#9 ·
Hi. I'm just about the same build in terms of height and weight. What's your inseam? Do you have to go with a pretty long stem to keep things comfortable? Or is the bike built up FR style with a shorter stem? I went the other route (med/17) with a slightly shorter stem (100). Anyway, glad you like your bike. Cya.

#10 ·
Sizing

will8250 said:
Hi. I'm just about the same build in terms of height and weight. What's your inseam? Do you have to go with a pretty long stem to keep things comfortable? Or is the bike built up FR style with a shorter stem? I went the other route (med/17) with a slightly shorter stem (100). Anyway, glad you like your bike. Cya.
I have about a 30.5" inseam and chose to go with a short stem. The stem is an 80mm RF Prodigy left over from another bike. I would say that a set-back seatpost might be helpful in the fit, but still have yet to decide.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.