Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

old school bmx

828 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  dgangi 
#1 ·
anybody rember "SE Racing BMX bikes". I ran into this classic on ebay.
rember the anodized rims, anodized chain rings. classic stuff.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
I remember wanting a redline or gt when I was 10. Never did get one, but my folks did buy me a schwinn predator, which was pretty cool. wish I'd learned to jump on it, but I just rode it around.

You should see AlexH ride his 20 incher, 20 year old skyway down the west end of national. amazing stuff.

El Guapo said:
anybody rember "SE Racing BMX bikes". I ran into this classic on ebay.
rember the anodized rims, anodized chain rings. classic stuff.

#4 ·
I've seen Alex riding wheelies going uphill on some fairly technical singletrack on a Tuesday night ride at the preserve. pretty amazing.

I raced bmx bikes at the Chandler BMX track a few times. I remember seeing Tinker Juarez race at the track. That was probably 25 years ago. I had a piece of Sh*t GT I used to race. My folks would never pony up the cash for a nice rig. Maybe thats why I take such pleasure in spending 4-5 grand on bikes nowadays.

#5 ·
El Guapo said:
I've seen Alex riding wheelies going uphill on some fairly technical singletrack on a Tuesday night ride at the preserve. pretty amazing.

I raced bmx bikes at the Chandler BMX track a few times. I remember seeing Tinker Juarez race at the track. That was probably 25 years ago. I had a piece of Sh*t GT I used to race. My folks would never pony up the cash for a nice rig. Maybe thats why I take such pleasure in spending 4-5 grand on bikes nowadays.
I remember racing at Chandler BMX back in the day too. How about this, anyone remember a BMX track that used to be around where the 101 and Mckellips is now? Now that's old school!

#6 ·
My BMX days

MFC said:
I remember racing at Chandler BMX back in the day too. How about this, anyone remember a BMX track that used to be around where the 101 and Mckellips is now? Now that's old school!
Ahh...the good 'ol days of the 70's and BMX. This was when me and my bike were completely inseparable...a time when your skill in riding a wheelie had a direct relationship with your pecking order in the "kid kingdom".

I used to race BMX at Roadrunner Park on 36th St and Cactus in the late 1970's. The track is long gone, replaced by a big grassy area.

My first BMX bike was a mid 70's Mongoose, complete with the Moto-Mags, a coaster brake, one-piece crank and rat-trap pedals. I'll bet those wheels weigh more than my road bike does.

My second BMX bike was a later model Mongoose with a 3-piece crank (wow) and freewheel (really wow!).

After the Mongoose was stolen I got a Schwinn Scrambler. It was a stock bike but I eventually decked it out with Sugino cranks (hot sh!t), blue anodized alloy wheels, blue alloy 4-bolt stem (damn thing took more chunks out of my knee), blue alloy rear brake, pegs on the rear axles, and a full complimentary pad set. And of course, what BMX bike in the early 80's was complete without the Oakley mushroom grips?

God I had such fun on those bikes.

And for a trip down memory lane, check out:

http://www.bmxmuseum.com/

Thx...Doug

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.