Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Almost made it to Whistler

1K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  LLrider 
#1 ·
Well I left Santa Barbara over two weeks ago for Oregon and then Whistler. I picked up my buddy in Portland last Thursday and we headed north for a week of mountain biking bliss. We were about 70 miles south of the US/Canada border when a car stalled in the right lane. The semi truck next to us couldn't stop in time and swerved into our lane to avoid hitting the truck in front of it and...well the pictures tell the rest. Luckily no one was injusred but now I am stuck 1000 miles from home with no car, 3 bikes, and a van load of gear. This is turning out to be a pretty crappy vacation. :mad:

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
toyota kawasaki said:
so to avoid hitting one guy, he swerved into you instead.

awesome thinking.

atleast the bikes are fine.
If I were the trucker, I would have made the same choice in a lot of circumstances (assuming therewas no shoulder/room to pass stalled car on the right). He made the right call probably. Sorry about your van, but at least you and your bikes are good.

#7 ·
ahh man, that sucks.
truck driver piss me off, and now they piss me off even more. and what's up with idiots stalling their cars and not getting off the freeway?
to make matters worse, you just got that pimping van. did you have good insurance coverage? i suppose it was the trucker's fault.
i'm glad that you guys are o.k. at least you were able to keep your vehicle under control. that must've been quit an adrenaline rush.
what are you gonna do now?

#11 ·
Yo man, I'm heading up to Whistler Friday morning.

Serious bummer fellas!! Where are you guys right now??? If you're an hour south, it sounds like you're in Burlington or Mt. Vernon. Shite, at the very least you guys should be hitting Galbraith this week which is in Bellingham!!

Check it. We'll have two cars leaving Seattle at the cracka dawn on Friday morning. In theory, we might be able to pile you guys in (albeit really tight - you mind snuggling with my two labs?). The bikes we could work out (I can fit 8 bikes on my rig), but the gear would be the bigger issue.

We're coming home on Tuesday night and could get you as far south as Seattle then. Don't know what lodging arrangements you have up in Whistler either....

PM me if this even sounds feasible and we'll see what we can work out.

Cheers,
EB

#9 ·
sriracha said:
quit a journey it is.
i've always wondered what it would be like to get run off the road by a big rig.
nice driving will, kept the rubber side down and the headlights in the right direction.
hope he wasn't listening to rap...******* truckers hate that and what is worse is guys in BMW's listening to that

#16 ·
toyota kawasaki said:
so to avoid hitting one guy, he swerved into you instead.

awesome thinking.

atleast the bikes are fine.
its called instincts buddy :rolleyes:

sorry to hear bout your misfortunes but sh!t happens. i say go rent a van or sumthin at a local hertz :D

#17 ·
Well this happened a week ago in Mt. Vernon. We rented a UHaul and headed back to Portland where my friend lives. Then we went to Hood River for the weekend. Tried to do some riding in post canyon but didn't do much, my buddy is way out of shape and we only had one vehicle so we basically just sat up in the mountains for 2 days and drank beer. I am in albany now just hitting the local DJs and I'll probably head to Falls City tonight. Tomorrow it is off to Mt. Hood for a weekend of DH. Luckily I made it back to Albany which is my home town so I am hooked up here, plenty of freinds and family. All in all being stuck in Oregon with 3 bikes isn't such a bad thing ;).
What is really pissing me off is that the insurance is dragging thier feet on this. The trucking company was Canadain. Damn Canadain insurance, its state ran from what I am gathering so they aren't the fastest. I only had liablilty on the van, I'll never make that mistake again.
The cool thing is the van was my second car so I don't need to buy a new rig...but for some reason I think a new frame is on the horizon.

#18 ·
KONA_in_SB said:
Damn Canadain insurance, its state ran from what I am gathering so they aren't the fastest. I only had liablilty on the van, I'll never make that mistake again.
The cool thing is the van was my second car so I don't need to buy a new rig...but for some reason I think a new frame is on the horizon.
Sorry to hear about that. At least it wasn't your fault. You'll get a nice paycheck as you'll get blue book on the mileage the odometer shows, enough to buy a new bike...Hmm...*schemes*

#19 ·
aw man

the bikes are good?! Those trucks are no joke man-be thankful you are still ridin, glad to hear ya are . The trauma will fade and you will drive to huck again . Ya made further than I did though-I didnt even get out of Cali-next year dude :(

#20 ·
KONA_in_SB said:
Well this happened a week ago in Mt. Vernon. We rented a UHaul and headed back to Portland where my friend lives. Then we went to Hood River for the weekend. Tried to do some riding in post canyon but didn't do much, my buddy is way out of shape and we only had one vehicle so we basically just sat up in the mountains for 2 days and drank beer. I am in albany now just hitting the local DJs and I'll probably head to Falls City tonight. Tomorrow it is off to Mt. Hood for a weekend of DH. Luckily I made it back to Albany which is my home town so I am hooked up here, plenty of freinds and family. All in all being stuck in Oregon with 3 bikes isn't such a bad thing ;).
What is really pissing me off is that the insurance is dragging thier feet on this. The trucking company was Canadain. Damn Canadain insurance, its state ran from what I am gathering so they aren't the fastest. I only had liablilty on the van, I'll never make that mistake again.
live and learn I guess but seriously, be thankful you walked away from it. its amazing how, in the blink of an eye, everything can change so dramatically. you got a second chance man, run with it like the wind!

#21 ·
I talked to Will today (Kona SB)

He told me the picture doesn't show the front end where the wheels were tore off and how they were scraping against the center divider for a while....real scary and lucky stuff

#22 ·
Ya the front wheels are folded under the van, kind of like in Back to the Future when the car flies. Anyways I am thankful we didn't get hurt but at the same time dealing with insurance isn't fun. The trucking company isn't returning mine or the insurance companies calls. I'll be talking to a lawyer real soon. What a pain in the arse. Oh well, at least Mt. Hood should be fun this weekend, I just hope one keg is enough to drown my sorrows.

And SMT, thanks for the call, good to know ones e-buddies are looking out for one another. I'll be ready to ride Simi when I get back.
SHIVER ME TIMBERS said:
I talked to Will today (Kona SB)

He told me the picture doesn't show the front end where the wheels were tore off and how they were scraping against the center divider for a while....real scary and lucky stuff

#23 ·
KONA_in_SB said:
Ya the front wheels are folded under the van, kind of like in Back to the Future when the car flies. Anyways I am thankful we didn't get hurt but at the same time dealing with insurance isn't fun. The trucking company isn't returning mine or the insurance companies calls. I'll be talking to a lawyer real soon. What a pain in the arse. Oh well, at least Mt. Hood should be fun this weekend, I just hope one keg is enough to drown my sorrows.

And SMT, thanks for the call, good to know ones e-buddies are looking out for one another. I'll be ready to ride Simi when I get back.
will make sure the refridge is stocked full...and yes there will be some Patron

#25 ·
Man that is depressing. At least you got to ride in Oregon though.

My wife was in a similar accident where the other driver hit her trying to avoid another vehicle. 3 years later her case finally settled. Good luck man- Insurance companies are a slow, incosiderate and rude.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.