Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

where to learn about components

591 views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  oldskoolbiker 
#1 ·
hi, im trying to buy anew bike, researching and comparing components, but i realized, i can't, because i can't tell if the sram blah blah blah is better than the shimano blah blah blah.

what to do???

#2 ·
scr1be said:
hi, im trying to buy anew bike, researching and comparing components, but i realized, i can't, because i can't tell if the sram blah blah blah is better than the shimano blah blah blah.
Set your budget. Pick bikes in that budget. Post them here and ask opinions.

You're not gonna learn instantly all the pros/cons of one component vs another. Also there is no concrete answer as to why the sram blah is better than the shimano blah (or vice versa). It's more of a matter of price, preference, and function for the individual.

Ohhh... and read MTBR forums.

#3 ·
A lot of buyers will look at Shimano first. I dont know much about Sram but they are trying to make inroads against Shimano at the price level. Sram has been working towards having a total component group much like Shimano Most buyers around here wouldnt get anything less than Shimano LX. If you can afford it then step up to XT. If you are a racer or just want the best of light weight compontents then go to XTR. On my bike I have a mix of XT and XTR and because I race I wont drop below XT. On the Sram side a lot of riders like grip shifts. If you want a quick safe answer you cant go wrong with Shimano XT.

#4 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.