Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What urban tire?

1K views 31 replies 19 participants last post by  puttsey 
#1 ·
I know this topic has been discused a billion times, but the search function still isn't working for me, so here it goes. I need a good urban tire that will hook up well on slick concrete, but something that I can still take off road a little. Hookworms are out of the question, but is there something that can bridge the gap fairly well?

#3 ·
Halo Twin Rails. I've been reserching them lately and they sound amazing. They have two raised strips of rubber in the center of the tire so as you ride on the street you are only riding on those two strips. The result is little to no rolling resistance at all. As you turn and lean the bike the tire transfers from the rails to the sides outside the rails for good grip. The if you take them in the woods the rails are small enough that they somewhat sink into the ground and you are riding on the whole tire. Simple concept that seems to be awesome. When I get my HT I am definitely getting a pair.

#4 ·
I like my k-rads, they got about 180 miles on em now and still ride nice. I don't use em much for off road, just around town and dry dirt riding. I've got a guy I ride with that uses em on one of our trails, he's always slippin' on some of the rocks and what not, but that's to be expected of a tired that's basically a large bmx tire. They're great for concrete and dry packed dirt, any type of loose dirt, mud, rock, etc, your going to have slipage.

#7 ·
More Info.........

20" / 24" / 26" Trails / Street Tire

Our all new Trail and Street tyre. Utilises 2 central rails (ridges) for reduced buzz on hard surfaces, but features drive ‘sleepers’ between the ‘rails’ to give traction on loose surfaces (Halo patent pending). Also features overlapping low profile studs to avoid lateral flex during hard cornering, and so provide positive steering. Multi use pressures allow this one tyre to perform in almost all conditions… both on road and off road. Built-in Puncture Protection System reduces flats.

PINK TOO! :p

Attachments

#9 ·
snaky69 said:
So you would rate them as good for an urban assault tire?
I run them on my Norco Six everyday when I can't go ride the dirt, they are great tires and cheap. I've got an extra set, brand new if your interested.

#10 ·
snaky69 said:
I'm in canada, so shipping them would be a pain in the ass, I'll just buy 'em at my LBS lol.
Yeah it would probably run yah about $10 shipping. I ship to Canada alot though, but if you can score em at your LBS for $30 then go for it as I'd sell em $10 a tire vs $18 in store.

What part of Canada?

#11 ·
I'm not planning on using them for trail riding, but I will be using them for DJing and with my port-a-booter that I set up on a grass hill by my house.

#14 ·
drum714 said:
I know this topic has been discused a billion times, but the search function still isn't working for me, so here it goes. I need a good urban tire that will hook up well on slick concrete, but something that I can still take off road a little. Hookworms are out of the question, but is there something that can bridge the gap fairly well?
I have been digging the Arrow launch tires , the harder compond sems to work better for street .
The Halo tire looks good also .

BTW friends don't let friends ride Krads !

#16 ·
JEEZ starting to sound like Shiggy here ......

snaky69 said:
What's wrong with k-rads?
I have seen people destroy a set of Krads riding street in SF in less than 4 hours .
The tread is inconsistant , the sidewalls are super thin and I woulnt want to be out on the wrong side of town riding a shady ditch and have to run .... onlt to end up with a Krad exploding wile I'm trying to pedal away !

They also seem to get more flats also for some reason ?

ok this is my tire choice .. for street and park and some dirt .
Maxxis holy roller 2.4 F and a Arrow launch regular compond rear .
The Maxxis is wide which I like cus 99.98 % of all my tricks are front wheel based tech moves .
Big tires make stalled out canadian picks so much fun !
The Aarow is great for hooking up when you need to open up the throttle and really get it !
Thoes little nobs seem to dig in a grab really well , same for high speed stops and they seem to be just hard enough to do skid/slid tricks .

Other tires worth mentioning are the Halo , I have a set sitting in my shop right now .. in fact they would be on my bike but I like the IRC DH tubes with the metal stems and they just don't seem to want to fit together . I may but them on my 2nd wheel set with lighter tubes just to test them out !

I do not recomend running the HolyRoller in the back if you plan on riding anything loose or off camber as I was riding Garson's bike around the lake the other day and with just a rear brake and the semislick holyroller I came ver close to sending myself into the lake !
Guess that's what I get for being used to my bike .

Ok hope this helps ...

#18 ·
drum714 said:
Whats wrong with hookworms? I've taken them off-road and was actually pretty impressed. I woouldn't rip any corners on them, but they work nice enough. The sucked in off camber mud (I got caught in a downpour) but were rather nice on hardpack, and wicked on sold rock and on man-made obstacles. All yah need to do is air them down, and the huge contact pactch makes up for the lack of studs.

#24 ·
Thanks for all the recomendations guys, you've given me quite a few choose from. I haven't heard a lot about the arrow tires, does anyone have any more info about them?

#23 ·
The DMR Moto is basically a beefier K-rad. I run that up front, with the Halo Twin Rail out back. I'll never run the Twin Rail up front, too sketchy. Great rear tire though, perfect urban and DJ tire. Two other votes for fronts would be Holyrollers and Launches, both have been run by my buddies with good results.

#26 ·
I run holy rollers front and rear and I love 'em like a fat kid loves cake. They work awesome for urban assault and dirt jumping. They don't work so hot in super slick/slimy/snotty mud, they just kind of spin out while you're sprinting into a jump. I'll use my set of Bling Blings if that's what the conditions will be like.

I've also heard really good things about the Arrow Launch tires, here's some info on them:
http://arrowracing.com/tires/the_launch.html
http://www.ride-this.com/Mountain_Bike_Arrow_Racing_Launch_Tire_20370044.html
http://www.go-ride.com/prod_tires.html#Anchor-ARROW-11306

And some info on the Holy Rollers:
http://www.maxxis.com/products/bicycle/product_detail.asp?id=301
http://www.ride-this.com/Mountain_Bike_Maxxis_Holy_Roller_Tire_20370041.html
http://www.beyondbikes.com/BB/ItemDesc.asp?IC=CM-TIR-Holy26
http://www.go-ride.com/prod_tires.html

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.