Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Freeride-ish rig for around 1k

672 views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  XSL_WiLL 
#1 ·
I'm looking for a new freeride bike that I can still pedal around. I'm probably gona be looking at used bikes, but do you guys have any suggestions of new or used bikes that I should look at for around a grand? I was thinking about the Cannondale Gemini series. I'm pretty much looking for something that's not going to bob excessively and weighs under 40 pounds. Thanks.

#2 ·
XSL_WiLL said:
I'm looking for a new freeride bike that I can still pedal around. I'm probably gona be looking at used bikes, but do you guys have any suggestions of new or used bikes that I should look at for around a grand? I was thinking about the Cannondale Gemini series. I'm pretty much looking for something that's not going to bob excessively and weighs under 40 pounds. Thanks.
http://www.bikesmart.com/index.cfm?menu=browse&cid=BIK&ssid=PAOHIDLPGGDLIDCK&ap=1199.00&StartRow=1

#5 ·
I have a Diamondback XSL now with a freeride build on it, and I've had absolutely no problems with it, I just decided that I wanted something that was actually designed to take some hits. Unless some amazing deal comes along, I'm probably going to get a Raleigh XT 2500 or a Diamondback XTS.

#7 ·
i would go with haro's extreme series, the x1 goes for about 900 bucks, the x2 goes for about 1200, and the x3 i believe goes for about 1500-1600, the x1 and x2 have adjustable 5-6 inches of travel, and the x3 has 7". the x1 and x2 are good for entry level small drops but you need to upgrade the wheelsets, shock, and fork before you do anything insane, but the x3 has a decent setup.

#8 ·
BEN you fool x1 800, x2 900, and x3 1200, but of course we know were its 1150 :p
your just jealous cuz u paid 900 for urs and u wanna make it sound like u paid 12 hahahahahah im jus playin :D

#11 ·
I've heard of it being done. The 04 and 05 coiler frames look Identical with the 05 having larger plates. So swapping for 05 Coilers plates or 04 Stinky plates should get the job done. If I remember corectly the rocker plates were just under a hundred bux strait from Kona. I put a longer stroke shock on my 04 coiler and it gave me about a half inch increace in travel, plus a better shock as well. Just anothe alternative. I still may try the new plates and se what it feels like.

#13 ·
Look at a KHS FR 2000 with a Romic shock for 350.00 to 400.00.You really can't beat that.You have to consider the Romic really does sell for at least 3 bones by it's self.Now you can get a 6" travel fork like the Sherman Flick cheep.299.00.Nice match.This is what I set up my broke friend with and he loves it.I bought one of these frames the other day for 350 just for the hell of it.I know my bud will give me 275 for the shock.I could then sell this frame with a Fox shock real cheep.I might make a whole 50 bucks.Hey!I just quit my job!
Read the reviews here on the KHS FR 2000.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.