Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Do you lower your dropper post when in technical terrain?

3K views 38 replies 31 participants last post by  SouthSoundRider 
#1 ·
I've started lowering my dropper post when in technical terrain. I've found that it allows me to use my legs more as suspension, and when needed, lower my center of gravity. I'm just wondering if I'm crazy here.

#10 ·
Yes, all the time. My dropper is constantly moving up/down as I transition between tech and short, simple climbs and flat spots.
^ this

I lower my dropper whenever I don't want to worry about my seat getting in the way. Downhill, tech, steep uphill, corners. No sense in not using it
No wait, ^ this

+1 Lower whenever beneficial [emoji869]
Yeah, ^ this

It's a riser post. I only raise it when beneficial.
Oh dammit, I take back everything I said. ^ this.

(Well crafted sir)

#13 ·
Of course. That's what it's for.
It took 6 posts to come up with dropper defined. Although many use it for many different situations the reason they were ever created was for downhill technical terrain. Lowering it to give the rider better body position by getting the riders azz behind the seat to prevent weight to far forward which helps the rider from going over the bars.

#14 ·
A while back I watched a GMBN YouTube video discussing dropper use.
One line that stuck with me was something to the effect of:
“Don’t wonder ‘should I drop my seat for this?
You should have it down and ask “Do I need my post up for this?”

I thought it was silly at first, but I started riding my singlespeed with my 110mm dropper (Damn 27.2 diameter!!) down, and really only raising it when I figured I’d be sitting for a while and not soft-pedaling. 110mm drop is enough to keep it slammed and still pedal OK. It can make a big difference in the tech, but doesn’t feel like I’m sitting BMX-style. It’s crazy how helpful a dropped seat is when climbing tech on a SS.

My new FS bike has a 150 on it (with room for a 180, coming soon) and I’m pretty much riding it the same way- it’s depressed most of the way- probably 120 mm for most trails, knowing I have more to drop if the trail gets spicy, or I can let it up if I’m spinning.

Basically I think of a dropper like a car cruise control- it’s off (down) for active driving, and on (up) for cruise-mode.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
I find it pretty nice to be have it lowered on steep rocky climbs and quick punchy uphills as well. It allows me to shift my weight around to get more traction on either the rear wheel if it’s slipping or weight the front if turning all while staying nice and low.

#28 ·
I feel like there's a common misconception that a dropper is only beneficial for big, dangerous, 'steep' stuff.

Dropping the seat for rough and tech, but FLAT stuff is not inherently understood by many. Techy climbing while standing over a dropped post is even less intuitive, but IMO just as important.

How many posts do you see on this forum where someone goes "I live in [Florida, Kansas, other 'flat' state]. I don't need a dropper post because I don't have mountains." ??

Kudos to the OP for using the tools and advancing his skills for better technique.

#20 ·
Yes. It's the most used lever on my bike. In addition to typical DHs, any sort of tech feature or significant turn and it goes down. Steep, sketchy climb where a sideways fall is possible...down. Not only has it (a) made me a better rider and (b) allowed me to utilize techniques to become a better rider, it's made riding much safer as the chance of a sideways tumble down a slope (cliff?) is much reduced.

#37 ·
It depends on the conditions and how much I need to move around.

For me there is no 'definitive' yes or know based on the term technical. I will do it on non technical terrain if needed and I may not during technical work. It all just depends.

The only right answer is, if you feel comfortable then you're doing it right. If that makes you crazy, well maybe you really are crazy. ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.