Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Need Help With Next Bike

672 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  eb1888 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I need help with deciding on my next bike. I haven't ridden trail in a month and am struggling to decide a few critical bike factors before purchasing a new bike. My budget is $3500.
So over the past two months my 2015 Trek X Caliber 7 (29er HT(hardtail)) has become unrideable (Rear Derailleur Broke Clean Off, Dented Rim, lots more).

I currently ride singletrack around Minnesota however I plan on moving out west/ or possibly Whistler area within the next two years.
I am looking for a bike that will be able to handle singletrack trail riding, dirt jumping, and possibly all mountain/enduro (for the future when I go out west). Also, I previously would ride my X cal just for fun in the street or only my way to work, school, etc as I really enjoy just air'ing off curbs, hopping over and off obstacles, trying to balance on things and just playing with the streets; so preferably a bike that works well for commuting (max of like 5 miles one way) is something I am considering.

I really enjoy pumping; catching air; tossing the bike around; balancing over objects; hoping: up, over and off of things; speed and just ripping in general.

I am stuck contemplate a few areas that I need help with:

1.) I am really struggling to decide if I want to get another HT or move to FS. I test rode the Santa Cruz Tallboy and Santa Cruz 5010. The 5010 felt a lot easier to whip around and carve with on the trail than the tallboy. I have read that FS are more of a pain in the ass for general commuting... do you think this is true?? I also occasionally hit the bike park/dj and although my HT isn't a prime dirt jumper it still works and I was wondering if any of you have used FS at dirt jumps and how you felt a FS handled at dirt jumping in comparison to a HT? I also feel my HT really made me really feel the trail and have to pick my lines out which I honestly really enjoyed, it added and element of additional control/focus on the trail. I am still contemplating getting another HT? Please any feedback on this will help.

2)I have been riding 29ers for the past 5 years but I am thinking of switching to 27ers (not the plus size)? I know the 29ers move over obstacles a lot easier and higher top speeds but I feel like the 27ers will be easier to whip/manuever in the air and for drifts. Also i feel like I can get more air time in general with 27er. The 27er 5010 seemed a lot easier to throw around but maybe that was just my mind any thoughts or opinions on 27 or 29?? ( I weight 145lbs and am looking for a really fun/easy to throw around bike).

Any Bike suggestions (brands, models, general pros and cons) or tips that helped you decide on your next bike would be greatly appreciated. I haven't been able to ride trail in like a month due to the trek breaking down and I am so mentally stuck on whether to do 27 or 29 and fs or ht so I appreciate any help!!

Also this was my first post so I apologize if anything isn't up to community rules or something, I am always reading this forum but just decided to create an account and get valuable opinions

Stoked for the help y'all

See less See more
#2 ·
If a LBS has something of interest available, ask if they will rent it to you for a week for test riding. I have done that and the shop offered to apply the rental fee to the purchase, should I pull the trigger. Unfortunately, many shops are looking as though they are going out of business with the scamdemic and bike sales going berserk.

I am firmly in the plus camp regardless of diameter, so long as it is 3.sweet so lost touch with the minus sizes.

#5 ·
Shops may be outa stock but the manufacturers have plenty of the more expensive models in the warehouses.
Shops aren't willing to order them for stock because of the risk.
Time to negotiate.
You can get a shop to order at a discount of 20 off if you tell the manager you're putting 60% down no refund.
This protects the shop.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.