Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2015 Pike max rotor?

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  SickEdit 
#1 ·
Hey guys. Looking to go bigger on my front rotor(bigger is better right? insert "size" joke here).
I have a 2015 Pike with a 180 rotor now but would like to throw on a fancy Hope rotor. I see they make 220mm but I might have read that 200mm is the largest I can run. I think my fork come with 160mm post mount. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

So the question is what's the largest I can run and what adapter do I need?

Thanks guys!

#2 ·
I just received an answer from Rock Shox and will post just in case anyone else out there had the same question.

From Rock Shox:
"The Pike will not fit a 220 as the largest is 215. SRAM only produces rotors in 20mm increments so you can go to with a 200mm and use a 40P adapter as Pike is a 160mm direct mount lower."

So looks like I can get a 200mm rotor and use a SRAM 40mm adapter or go with a 203mm rotor and use a basic 160mm to 203mm adapter.

Hope this is of use to anyone out there.

#3 ·
You could probably fit a 220mm rotor, but the pike is probably only rated for a 203mm rotor, which is usually the max that single-crown forks are rated for. The outlier is Hope brakes, despite fantastic quality, they make less power than some other popular brakes due to the MC/SC piston sizes, so going 220mm with a Hope would be the same or less power than a Saint at 203mm most likely.

Which leads back to why are you trying to fit a 220mm rotor? What issue are you trying to solve? If it's outright power, a few of the Shimano, Magura, Formula and especially Trickstuff brakes would be the best suggestion. If it's modulation, usually 4-pot brakes and especially maguras have modulation for days. If it's fading on steep descents, then a thicker rotor and better heat dissipation through something like an icetech or heavier rotor, with maybe 4 pot brakes (more metal and heat conduction for heat transmission) may be helpful.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.