Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New Bike Day!

916 views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  mtnbkrmike 
#1 ·
I've ridden my "beginner" bike, a Trek Marlin 5, to pieces lately, so I finally picked up my first full-suspension rig today.

Got a 2015 edition Kona Process 134 SE. Even though it's 5 years old, it's actually still brand new. The shop I bought it from hadn't been able to sell it all this time, so I got it 40% off its original price.

SOOoo happy with it already. It's been raining here today, so local trails are closed, but I found plenty of obstacles here in town to session when the rain slowed. It's unbelievable how much more capable this bike is. I knew it would be, but the difference is night and day, more than I expected.

Anyway...just excited and had to tell somebody about it! :D

#8 ·
Yeah, I'm a jerk for not getting a picture up.

I did find one thing I didn't care for on it, which were the Kona-branded lock-on grips. They're good, but I think I still prefer my ODI grips, so they came off the old bike.

I did get to take it on some trails the next day, so I got this shot of it just outside the trail head.

Attachments

#13 ·
My daughter has been rocking that bike since I bought it for her in 2015. Before it left the LBS I swapped the SRAM crank for a Turbine so I could put a 26 tooth ring on it for her. I also swapped the bar for a Turbine, put some lighter weight tires on it (tubeless), swapped the saddle for a Specialized, and put some nice flats on it. I think that was it.

That bike has been incredible. Rock solid. I have since been through 3 bikes. My daughter will not let me get her a new one. She wants this bike for life. Or at least a bunch more years.

It's seen a crap ton of miles in so many places, including Cumberland, Whistler, Revelstoke, Golden and Fernie, as well as all the local areas, including Canmore, Banff, Kananaskis Country and West Bragg Creek.

Congrats. It's a rock solid and super fun bike. There are still a lot on the trails here - I just saw one the other night. I asked the rider how he liked it. He said he bought it in 2015 and had no intention of replacing it. That bike was revolutionary at the time and remains very relevant and kick a$$ in the grand scheme of things, despite all the "refinements" that have taken place since 2015. Kick. A$$.

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.