Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Privateer 161: Anyone have one yet?

12K views 34 replies 13 participants last post by  Ray Lee 
#1 ·
I haven’t seen much discussion on the Privateer 161 yet here on mtbr, and certainly haven’t seen a thread on them yet. thought I’d post one up and get the discussion going.

For those that haven’t heard of Privateer, they are a new smaller company owned by the same company that owns Hunt wheels. The 161 is their first bike, and it’s defining traits are really progressive geo, designed for ease of maintenance, and really high value (frame with shock is $1500ish, complete build with Lyrik ultimate And 12 speed SLX is $3100).

I’ve been seriously considering the 161, but there isn’t much rider feedback on them yet, and I can’t exactly demo one.

I’m especially curious about sizing, and ride feedback. For sizing I’m torn. If I size on reach compared to my current bike, I should get a size P3. But sizing by ETT, I should buy a P4 (I’m 6’1”).

So, does anyone here have one? Planning on picking one up? Know someone with one?

#35 ·
my P4 frame made it

Only have a couple rides on it on our XC loop littered with some "trail bike" features, but so far so good... I am 6'3" and it fits well and I have the suspension pretty close I think... all ready for this Sunday to try it out at Spring Mountain (old Launch Bike Park)

Marzocchi Z1 fork, OneUp dropper plus chain guid/bash, TruVativ Descendant cranks, SLX 4 piston brakes, SLX shifter/rear mech/chain, Ergon saddle, Turbine bars, Defy stem, XT trail pedals. It has the E13 carbon wheels, Onza tires and GX cassette I snagged from my trail bike in the pic but my HUNT Enduro wide wheels came today so now I have E13 tires, Rimpact inserts and the SLX cassette all mounted up.

Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle frame

#2 ·
I have a couple rides on mine (P3) and so far I’ve been pretty stoked with it. I’m 6’2” and went with the P3 because I prefer a more agile bike With a shorter wheelbase. The steep ST angle really makes it an efficient climber. Only downside to the steep ST is that there’s more weight on your arms when riding rolling terrain but thats not what it’s designed for anyway. Coming from a Yeti SB6, the Privateer feels more planted, the suspension feels way more plush and generally much more stable at speed.

#3 ·
I wasn’t sure I’d ever hear back from anyone. Thanks for the feedback.

Where do you live/ride, and what kind of trails are you usually riding?

I’m in Western Washington, and while not everything here is super steep, we definitely have that here. Enough that my Kona Process feels a bit more sketchy than I’d like at times.

I’ve read the whole “steep seat tube angle makes for pressure on your hands” thing. I kind of wonder if that’s because people are sizing on reach, and not on ETT.

I’m hoping to demo a Norco Sight, or Transition Sentinel sometime this year. Both are different, but are much closer to the privateers geo than my kona. Enough that I might get an idea of what I want to do in terms of sizing.

And I’m also mildly curious to see what their next bike is. The rumors say a 141mm travel “trail” bike, which might also work for me.

#5 ·
And I'm also mildly curious to see what their next bike is. The rumors say a 141mm travel "trail" bike, which might also work for me.
Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Textile Shoe Bicycle part

Odd rear tire choice for a 161. Maybe the rumored 141?

With how this guy has his foot centered on the pedal, guessing they won't like the steep STA of a 161--I believe those who are mid-foot over pedal axle are the target audience for 80d STA, considering standing 60mm more forward on the pedal is equivalent to slackening the STA by 5 degrees.

#4 ·
I live in Southern California so I’m lucky to have plenty of steep and chunky trails nearby.
I’ve also heard Privateer may be coming out with a 140 trail bike this summer. Their 161 now has a long waitlist so not sure if that will affect the release of their trail bike.

#7 ·
I've also heard the 141 rumours. I think if true, it could be an ideal bike for many. I'm running a Yeti SB130LR and if it was stolen, a 141 would be on my short list for sure (assuming it is like the 161 but more..... less)

P.S. Why wouldn't you run a Hans Dampf on a 161? A lot of the EWS racers run them on the rear.

#8 ·
I think at this point they are more than rumors, although not quite 100% official. The PrivateerBikes pinkbike account posted a response to the 161 review which said "Apparently a Privateer 141 is in the pipeline".

Their response was "All I can say is keep an eye out for our social channel over the summer for more".

https://www.pinkbike.com/news/privateer-launch-their-161-enduro-bike.html

And I guess a Hans Dampf isn't all that weird. But for a bike thats purpose is to go fast/hard on the downhills, I guess I'd typically expect something with a bit more traction. But you're right, its still in the same realm. Just on the faster rolling/less traction side of that category. But for a drier location it could totally make sense.

I just don't know how we know/suspect that this is the Privateer 141 prototype in the first place?

#10 ·
Found 1 EWS racer with Hans Dampf, and that was in '17. James Shirley. He was on semi-slicks in '15. On Magic Mary SG in '19, but flatted it in the Maxi Avalanche race. You got the burden of proof to argue my claim that it was an odd rear tire choice. I made an effort to look up bike checks...

161 is said to be a privateer enduro race bike, intended to get fast race times. Bold risk to choose a tire with relatively low profile knobs made for compacted ground, when racers tear/loosen it up. The designer behind it was the one who designed the current gen Nukeproof Mega. The Enduro magazine that reviewed the Privateer and made supporting claims about the bike being race optimized also said that the steep STA hurt its versatility, and was the one who confirmed that a 141 is in the works with a slacker STA.

The read into the foot position is that this could be the 141, as the slacker STA would be less extreme for someone who still has a ball of foot over pedal axle stance to adapt to. It's unmistakably a Privateer; just compare to a production bike photo. The pistachio-looking color is not a production color. It adds unnecessary weight for a race bike, but a 141 bike is not optimized for any racing, hence my speculation. I've been told to wait for news this summer too. What's a proper term to use over rumor for this, "reportedly upcoming"?

Pic is from Bikerumor, one of the media groups that gave it an Editors Choice award, admittedly without giving it a ride review and just going off of the hype.

#11 ·
Found the article that you're talking about, and did some more comparing to the 161 stock photos.

The hole for the cable in the chainstay, the pivot design, and the weld on the seat tube do look pretty Privateer, I'll absolutely give you that.

If this is the 141, then maybe they're switching shock manufacturers? Thats a fox shock on there in the photo, and the 161 is only available with a Super Deluxe. Also, the downtube protector isn't there on the 161, and then maybe it appears that the 141 doesn't have the "accessory" bottle mounts on the top (otherwise, the tube potentially wouldn't be taped to the down tube)?

Either way, since they said "stay tuned for info this summer", I think we'll find out one way or another here in the next few months.

Myself, while I'd love to be buying one of these, I don't think its in the cards here with Pandemic side effects. I really want to demo one, or at least something somewhat similar (The Norco Sight in particular, is pretty darn similar to the 161's geo) before I commit. And where I am, I haven't been able to find any demos happening atm. So it may get bumped back a bit.

#13 ·
The recent Pinkbike review leads me to believe that it's pretty much great at going straight downhill fast and not so great at nearly everything else. Unless you're really charging hard down steep mountains, it might be a real handful.

#14 ·
Vital MTB posted a press release on the bike but took it down for some reason. Reposting it here:

Privateer 141 Press Release - The bike you've been asking for

Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

When we launched the 161, many riders loved the Enduro World Series race-focused concept, but we know not everyone has access to world-class steep and technical alpine trails. We listened, and here it is, the 141.

Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Wheel Mountain bike Bicycles--Equipment and supplies

Built to handle everything from your local trail loop to park laps, or even a local Enduro race or two. Taking our proven platform and stretching out the seated position slightly gives riders more room to enjoy those undulating sections of trail.

Bicycle part Bicycle frame Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle Bicycle accessory

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

The 141 is ready to ease you to the top with its steep climbing position, whilst its progressive geo will let you focus on the next chute, tight switch back or fun side hit on the way back down.

Tire Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel Mountain bike Downhill mountain biking

Who said versatility has to be boring?

Product White Line Bicycle part Font

Progressive focus, rider driven frame : 6066-T6 frame fabricated by industry-renowned Taiwanese welders.

Material property Cable Cylinder Silver Steel

Headtube Guides : Keeping annoying [cable] rub and rattle to a minimum

Bicycle part Composite material Bicycle accessory Steel Machine

Three Bearings in Main Pivot : Bearings are always offset due to the chainring, so having two bearings on the drive side helps spread the load

Bicycle accessory Bicycle part White Bicycle Metal

Threaded BB and ISCG 05 Mounts : With a focus on serviceability, threads make the most sense. And when every second counts, the security of a chain guide lets you focus on the stage ahead.

White Bicycle accessory Grey Metal Composite material

One-Piece Rocker Link : A one-piece rocker keeps alignment high for longer bearing life whilst increasing stiffness and strength

Text Colorfulness White Pattern Line

Colorfulness Green Text Pattern Slope

Blue Colorfulness Green Text Slope

Colorfulness Text Pattern White Line

Colorfulness Text Pattern Slope White

Frameset

Shock - Fox DPX2 Performance Elite
Headset - Sealed Cartridge Bearings
Price - £1,489 / €1,739 / $1,759 USD
Pre-order now for November 2020
Complete Build

Fork - Fox 36. Performance Elite. Grip 2. HSC/LSC, HSR/LSR
Shock - Fox DPX2. Performance Elite
Brakes - Magura MT5. 203/180 Storm HC Rotors
Drive - Shimano 12 speed SLX with XT shifter
Dropper - OneUp V2 180mm
Cockpit - Race face Turbine R 800x20/Aeffect R 40mm
Contact - Fabric Scoop Elite / FunGuy Grips
Tires - Schwable Magic Mary. Super Trail Soft/Hans Dampf Super Trail Soft
Wheels - HUNT Trail Wide
Price - £2,989 / €3,489 / $3,719 USD
Pre-order now for January 2021
Available in Raw, Charcoal Grey and Heritage Green

Head to Privateerbikes.com for more!

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle frame Bicycle wheel rim

#15 ·
Guess they needed to edit it. Irregularities like "cattle rub and rattle" and inconsistencies like OneUp V2 180mm dropper spec but 150-175-200-200 dropper lengths in geo table, and that one top-down angled picture of the seatstay bridge, considering it has the old seat tube and main pivot construction in the background.

Also, they had better test that 180mm dropper in a 420mm seat tube to see if it can be slammed. I can barely fit that, considering I run a 125mm KS Lev practically slammed with a 460mm seat tube and 165mm crank on one of my bikes.

#16 ·
Looks like bikerumor and enduromtb will both have reviews up shortly. They have links from privateers site, but you get 404’s when you try to view them.

So, slightly shorter reach for each size, and a 2 degree slacker sta. The chainstays are the same length for each size, but the wheelbase is slightly shorter for each size as well.

The complete build is all fox stuff, while the 161 is all rockshox. And you get “trail” wheels instead of hunts enduro wheelset. Most of the rest is the same (drivetrain and brakes and dropper)

#17 ·
Looks like bikerumor and enduromtb will both have reviews up shortly. They have links from privateers site, but you get 404's when you try to view them.
They worked for me, though PinkBikes one went to their review of the 161.

It looks like an interesting bike, frustratingly even though this is supposed to be their trail bike and not their enduro smasher both the reviews I read seemed focused on how "capable" it is and how far they could push it's limits (as if there's much doubt to that just based on the numbers alone!) and gave no mention to how it behaved on more mellow, or "normal" terrain.

#18 ·
5mm less reach
1.2 degree slacker STA
8% more anti-squat
fox susp instead of RS
schwalbe tires instead of Michelin
hunt trail wheels instead of enduro

Same everything else, including 7.7 lb frame weight. What makes this more versatile again?

Text Colorfulness White Line Style
Text Colorfulness White Pattern Line

Green Text Colorfulness White Slope
Text Slope Pattern Line Colorfulness

Guessing the only real benefit is that a poor susp setup is less noticeable.

#20 ·
Yeah, it looks like the main differences in weight are going to be from the build kit, rather than the frame. And slightly less reach/wheelbase per size, and a slightly steeper hta should make it a bit easier to weight the front end.

And, the pedaling position should be better for average terrain, as the 161 is apparently “right” at the limit for how steep a sta should ideally be.

#21 ·
Nah, I ride 83 deg STA and feel there's still a little more room to go steeper. 80 deg is not at the limit unless you still ride with ball of foot over the pedal axle. With midfoot positioning, 500mm reach isn't that long for a size M rider.

I basically stand 60mm more forward on the pedal when riding midfoot. Doing this better supports the foot, like having the cage of the pedal under each end of your foot's arch. An arch isn't strong if only one of its ends is supported, but some people take on the trade-off of riding with super stiff soles to counter that. The mid-foot stance lets me transfer more power through my hips (recruiting my glutes and upper quads), rather than through my knees and ankle (lower quads and calves). It's a different form that you need to adapt to, using a more flat footed step, rather than a tippie-toe step. Some might climb stairs by bounding on their tippie toes, or sprint on their tippie toes, or leap off their tippie toes. Others initiate these moves from a stance with their heels on the ground. I opted to specialize in the heel/flat-footed one, since I feel it's more efficient. Might not be as good for short sprints, but I recognize mtb as an endurance sport. This midfoot style improved with a shorter crankarm. There's so much power that a 40 lb bike, DH tire, and 11-36 cassette doesn't phase me, nor does a 50 mile ride tire my legs (it's more of a glycogen thing, than a muscular endurance thing).

I'll add that one area that's lacking is the stack. 650+mm stack could be a norm on trail bikes. Look at all the builds where people have 40mm of spacers under their stem. It's better for steep terrain and doesn't seem to hold back climbing. It'd help counter how the steeper STA raises the seat up over the grips too.

Attachments

#22 ·
Am I reading that right, AS at 177%? Not sure what gear combo that's referring to, but holy crap, that's ridiculous if true.

#25 ·
That a.s. stood out to me as ambitious, but those numbers aren't odd if they measured a weird gear like a 32/24.

I like everything else. The leverage curve is good - most Horst are fairly flat.
Most horst are a steep falling line for AS, just like pictured, except they usually don't start nearly as high and they end up even lower. The "flat" horst-link bikes like GG, new Enduro and a few others, have only been around a few years. Europe especially seems to have a hard-on for horst-link with plenty of old-school ones (steep falling line).

I'm not sure if you were talking about shock leverage, or AS curve, since shock leverage is not dependent on whether it's a horst link and pretty much every variation is available via linkage. There's no "typical" in this sense, at least as it relates to a horst link.

And 32/24 (32 front, 24 rear) is not where I'd want a ton of AS. Although you might be pedaling out of saddle in that gear and should have a good amount, that's only halfway up a cassette these days as far as teeth. Again, seems crazy to have that much.

Reminds me of the slightly older specialized bikes, before the new Enduro and Epic, when DW, SC, Yeti, Intense, Canfield and others were doing around 100% AS throughout a good portion of the travel, Specialized and a few others simply "jacked up" their AS amount, without flattening it, still leading to soggy pedaling in the mid-stroke. In this case though, it looks have been taken to a totally new extreme.

Why they are even using a horst link is a question I have as well, since we now know that some brake squat is beneficial in steep terrain and cornering to prevent the rear end from rising. The idea is that you can make a stiffer rear end without it, due to no pivots between the main pivot and rear axle.

#28 ·
The price is listed including VAT. So a straight conversion to USD doesn't work correctly.

The frame only for the 141/161 is about $1500, and the completed are ~$3100.
If you try to checkout from their site, they charge 1240 GBP (without VAT) for a frame plus 78 shipping, which is currently 1712 USD (inc SH). 2490.93 GBP for a complete + 78 SH (3335.86 USD inc SH).

Not sure what the duty cost is, but it could be as low as 3.9% for a frame (+66.76 fee = 1,778.76) from UK to USA or 11% for a complete (+366.94 fee = 3,702.80).

The GBP is really tanking against the USD, prob cause of the Brexit happenings. Historic low of 1 GBP to 1.22 USD not too long ago... banks charge another ~3.5% for the exchange rate fee, so you're looking at a total cost of 1,838.68 for frame and 3,819.56 complete.

P.S. 1 GBP = 1.30 USD at the time of this post

#30 ·
Your package is essentially held hostage until they collect the fee from you. They may eat the fee, but that's a rarity and probably done in their error. Knowing some capitalistic practices, the delivery person probably is held accountable and pays it if they leave the package without collecting the fee. Bad day for a deliver person if they gotta pay $300 out of their own paycheck cause a customer raised a fuss at their door, about not having $300 in cash at that moment. Feel bad for the shy ones... what do they do, take the package back?

There's an option for the exporter to pay the fee, so the customer doesn't have to deal with it, but here's Privateer/Hunt/Rider Firm's stance on it:

Attachments

#32 ·
You look it up. https://hts.usitc.gov/?query=8712 and research individual rulings for more details, such as: https://rulings.cbp.gov/ruling/N189083

I don't know the precise state of things, but Trump increased taxes a lot on imported goods to 25%. Some were able to score tariff exclusions, but they have ended Sept 1, 2020.

Some brands are arguing that the USA isn't really benefitting from this. Trek moved production to Malaysia. Yeti moved production to Vietnam. If prices didn't increase, specs dropped. Warranty issues increased due to lack of experienced/trained workers. Supply rate has been affected. I know Harley has enjoyed tax advantage against imports since the Reagan days (was ~49% tariff on imports), and they got mega complacent as a result. I doubt renewal of the exclusions, because the USA allegedly reported that the exclusion acted as a delay to give extra time to makers to adapt by moving out of China.

Privateer bikes are made in Taiwan (Trump recognizes Taiwan, HK, and China as being one, I think) and it's unclear if they're affected by the 25% duty on things made in China entering the US. Obama raising the duty-free threshold from $200 to $800 helps the little guy, but not in the case of big ticket items.

Some news on it here:
https://www.pinkbike.com/news/giant-declares-made-in-china-era-over-citing-trump-tariffs.htmlhttps://www.pinkbike.com/news/dorel-industries-suspends-dividend-stock-value-plummets-to-record-low.html
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/ind...pension-frames-and-carbon-rims-granted-tariff
https://www.bicycleretailer.com/ind...creases-month-exclusions-expire-chinese-goods

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.