Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

What all do you carry with you riding, and what all do you leave in the car?

4K views 55 replies 34 participants last post by  kapusta 
#1 ·
Curious what everyone carries with them on the bike when they go riding, and what all you leave in the car?

#3 ·
The only thing I leave in my car is a change of clothes, and maybe a cooler with some cold drinks. But usually I go somewhere post-ride to eat/drink, so I don't usually bring a cooler.

There are plenty of threads already about what gear people carry on themselves/their bike during their ride, and some broken down into specific riding scenarios (races vs. evening rides vs. all day epics, vs. backcountry riding, etc).

#4 ·
I leave my wallet and cell phone in the car, I put my keys under the tire. People are basically good and no one would ever dare break into my car. Plus, it's not really a big deal if someone gets a hold of my wallet, ID, address and credit cards. If I have anything else good in there, I make sure it's in view.

Reactions: Nat
#5 ·
most of my rides start and end from my driveway, so I just leave everything I don't need at home. but if I drive to a different trail:

in the car:
• additional water bottle. fill an insulated bottle with ice water and it's usually still cold when I get back. some sort of electrolyte drink for post-ride is also a good idea if it's really hot. post-ride snacks too.

• beach towel for changing clothes—hide under the towel while you change out of your sweaty shorts so no Karens see your private parts and call the cops.

• all wallet contents except ID and one credit card. I should start taking my health insurance info on the bike as well.

• floor pump. nice to have to perfect tire pressure right before the ride or help another rider who forgot theirs.

• clean clothes, deodorant, sunblock. I don't like driving more than a short distance in dirty, gross clothes. Texas summer sweat is no joke. dust turns to mud when it hits your body.

on the bike:
• aside from bike fixing stuff, water, and a snack for longer rides, I would NEVER leave my cell phone! in the event of an injury, mine or someone else, that could be my only lifeline.

#14 ·
In the car-Ice chest, floor pump, food, my bike bag that has everything I could ever need (tools, chain lube, shock pump, change of riding clothes, after ride clothes, more tubes, CO2, bike snacks, rain coat, sweater, stans, spare gloves, spare socks, sun block, air pressure gage)

long ride-tube, co2, multi tool, mini leather min, tubeless plug kit, small first aid kit, quite a bit of food, pump, phone, truck key, Kleenex, mini chain lube, water, tire levers.

Short ride- water, co2, plug kit, mulit tool, phone

#15 ·
With me (short rides) in a small Camelbak - water, tube, mini-pump, tire lever, multi tool, chain tool, keys, phone, sunglasses . Left in car - chain lube, floor pump and whatever t-shirt and shoes I wore to drive to the ride.

Long rides - bigger pack, add food and chain lube. Spring/fall - add jacket that is convertible to a vest.

I'm too OCD to ride even a short ride without the bare necessities to prevent having to walk out. Amazed how many people I see riding without the items necessary to do the basic trail-side repairs.

#16 ·
I'll typically bungee on a 6-pack to the bars. A few chunks of bacon. A bowl of pudding. A good rifle. Some ammo. An ice axe and crampons.

In the truck I'll have a few head of cattle. Often a keg too. And definitely BBQ sauce.

I can't believe that nobody's ever brought up this subject before on here.

#21 ·
I bring pretty much what others bring, more in the backcountry, less in the parks. However, being 72 at this point, I cannot ride or ski all day so, when I'm alone, I often bring a paperback SF novel and will spend a little time reading in the shade. Couldn't find a much better place than, say, the benches above Lake Hennessy, the picnic tables at Lake Marie, etc. I even do this skiing. One day, I fell asleep at Forest Lake in Lassen NP and woke up with the sun real near the horizon (caldera rim).

#27 ·
No one ever takes my dirty underwear. For sure, I leave it on the seat.

#32 ·
I carry the following stuff
Whistle
Water hydration pack 3L
Some snacks.
Bug spray
Tire tools
Patches
Extra glasses
Cell phone
Extra soft shell jacket if it is a cool day
Gravol for nausea moments
Clorox wipes to clean up my sweaty face
Wallet, car keys
If I ride in wilderness area, I will bring my survival knife
First aid kit

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk

#38 ·
My answer is focused on biking related gear.

With me on the ride: hydration pack with water, multi tool, co2 cart & tool, master link, tire levers, bacon tool, tube, tire boots, zip ties, rear der hanger, mini-pump, bug spray (small 3oz bottle), US ACE emergency whistle, 4mm allen with clutch/torque setting (for seat post on a cf frame), couple gels, lens cloth, and lens wipe.

In the back of the car's cargo area (3rd row folded down): floor pump, shock pump, Kryptonite NYC lock. In compartment below floor and above spare tire: 2 (new) cassettes, multiple new chain rings, new chains, spare sets of pedals, Orange sealant, 3-4 tubes, 2-3 new tires, a few sets of new brake pads, tool bag (contents are too many to list), and shop rags.

Regarding the car, never leaving anything in the car which is irreplaceable. Keep EVERYTHING out of sight and do not give bad guys any reason for temptation. If you are carrying money, jewelry, or fire arms--LOCK THEM UP in your glove box or car-safe (yes they make these). Best situation is not to bring valuables at all.

The answer to the question "why does he carry so much"? I normally travel a lot for both work and play. I bring my bike. I like to be prepared if/when something fails.

#41 ·
I don't always carry this, it's more of an "in the car item" since I ride from home and it stays in the garage. This little broom and dust pan is great for cleaning up broken glass on the trail. Easy and small to throw in the pack in advance.

Bottle Liquid Product Glass bottle Fluid

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.