Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Recommendations on a new 29er

510 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  bigdrowe 
#1 ·
Good morning everyone. I was hoping I could get some recommendations on a new 29er.

I believe I will have to go with at least an XL frame, as I am 6’6”, 275lbs.

At the moment, I don’t do anything crazy because my bike is not set up or built for it, but it is a 2003 GT avalanche 2.0 in a large frame.

My son is almost 10, and he is getting a little bit more into easy dirt trail riding, And I can barely ride my current bike on pavement without busting spokes and stuff so I would like recommendations on a new bike that would suffice to my size.

The one killer I’m sure is my budget… I don’t want to spend over 700 bucks on a bike but I need something that will support me. Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
At 6'6", your priority is fit. Not all XL's will suit you. My son's is 6'6" and rides XXL sized mtb's.

Finding any bike in this economy will be tough--there is a huge increase in demand for new/used bikes (at this price point) due to the pandemic. Lots and lots of people are rediscoverying bike riding.

#3 ·
At 6'6", your priority is fit. Not all XL's will suit you. My son's is 6'6" and rides XXL sized mtb's.

Finding any bike in this economy will be tough--there is a huge increase in demand for new/used bikes (at this price point) due to the pandemic. Lots and lots of people are rediscoverying bike riding.
Thanks for the reply. Yeah I noticed that there's a lot more people buying up bikes that normally wouldn't but I'm in no rush either. I may not even purchase it until closer to November this year but just wanted to get some ideas. I will definitely look into a XXL.

And brands/models to go with? Giant? trek? Any brands that aren't so common, like Giant, Trek, Specialized?

I know there are a lot of bike brands out there, and I know the cheap ones that are sold at big box stores are not something to go after, but I believe there are brands out there I've never heard of that would be a good brand to go with. Let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.