Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Help with pricing a used Gary Fisher, Paragon

9K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  scottzg 
#1 · (Edited)
It was given to me. I'd like to sell it. Not sure what year. Could you tell me what it is generally worth - even generally is fine. Thanks for helping.
Mountain bike.
Paragon 29 I think.
19.5", 49.5cm
No disk brakes.

Deep blue color.
Shimano Deore XT in back.
Deore X7 in front.
Mach X7 shock.
Weinman BCX rims.
Tioga psycho tires.
Handlebar roll shifting.
Click-in pedals.
Excellent condition.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
pedals, or peddles?

what year? if you're not sure, look through Trek's archive page or just look up photos of different Paragon models until you find the paint scheme that matches.

if the bike is in good shape, find the original retail price and cut it in half. if it needs a lot of work, cut the original price by 2/3. ask for that amount first and expect to get quite a bit less than that. a mountain bike 26" wheels and rim brakes is about as popular in the mtb community as a flip phone with no data capabilities or a typerwriter. it's basically vintage kitsch at this point. fine for someone just dipping their toe in mountain biking or someone who just wants a durable recreational/ commuter bike.

however, the used bike market is hot right now. so you might get a decent price for it.

#5 ·
identifying the specific model and parts on the bike will help boost the listing.

there's no such thing as Deore X7. it's either Shimano Deore, or Shimano Deore XT. if the derailer says X7 on it, that's a SRAM derailer.

the shifters are "twist" shifters, most likely SRAM GripShift models.

The pedals are "clipless" pedals, not "peddles." They are most likely Shimano SPD pedals.

I think that's a hardtail model, so it does not have a "shock." a full suspension bike has a "shock" on the rear end. what you have is a suspension fork.

brakes, not breaks. a bike with breaks is always a bad thing, as saying a bike is broken is not a selling point. that bike has rim brakes.

excellent condition is subjective. check the chain wear, brake pad condition, wheels, presence of rust, brake and shift cable condition, etc. be realistic.

#8 ·
#10 ·
#12 ·
It was a good bike of its time, no way youre going to get 50% for it though! Yes the assestment everyone giving is prob about right. There isnt much of it thats worth much to vintage seekers either, its all common mid-midlo end parts.
Good beer run bike. Its nice enough that if you use it as a town run around, it may get swiped though if you just leave it unlocked.

#14 ·
I would think that a rigid fork would fetch more money than a crapola suspension fork from yesteryear. Maybe not with all the noncyclists buying used bikes right now.

But yea, i'd post it up for $250 and take less. I probably wouldn't sell it- it's worth nothing on the used market and it's a pretty decent bike path cruiser. It's a nice bike if you accept it for what it is.

That stem gives me nightmares.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.