Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

582 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Fajita Dave 
#1 ·
*deleted*

#2 ·
I'm not trying to be a jerk, but it will probably come off that way. You really don't know what you are doing, so you need to take this thing to a bike shop and have it assembled. The cassette is attached to the freehub properly. On some hubs the freehub will just pull off, which is why your cassette/freehub assembly came off. So this is normal and nothing was assembled incorrectly. Its also not unusual for a mail order bike to have some small scratches on it. It typically happens during shipping.

#3 ·
I don't disagree with you. I should have just taken it directly to my LBS. I guess I figured I'd make an attempt as I would like to educate myself on doing basic maintenance on my bike as this is my second bike.

Taking it to LBS first thing when they open.

#4 ·
Not a new mail order bike nightmare. Cassettes will pull off with the freehub but they're secure once installed in the bike with the axle. The small gash on the brake caliper won't hurt anything. Calipers maybe weren't aligned great from the bike shop you ordered it from. It's an extremely tight tolerance to get the brake caliper setup with zero rubbing. Typically about 0.5mm one way or the other.

Keep trying to work on your own bike but getting a LBS for this initial build is a good call. Pick up the info and skills here and there as you go :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.