Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

New DIY mech

781 views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Tribble Me 
#1 · (Edited)
I’m getting back at riding, but my Fuel EX 8 has been in storage for about 5 years. What items should I tube up, perform maintenance on before riding? (Tubeless tires, shocks, drivetrain, etc.). I’ve always had the pros do the work in the past, but with my son now planning to ride with me, I want to start doing it myself.

#2 ·
you should tune up the items that need service. no one can diagnose those for you over the internet.

if it's been sitting, there's no way to know what needs it and what doesn't, so I'd check everything:
suspension oil levels
brake fluid
brake pads
tire condition
spoke tension
pivot bearings
shift cables
chain, cassette, and chainring wear
etc.

#7 ·
I'll mention that my suggestion was predicated on the assumption the OP's priority is to ride, with working on the bike as a means to that end. The LBS inspection and service should get him riding much sooner than noodling everything out and doing it himself before riding. A good inspection and service by the LBS will allow riding with the confidence that everything is pretty well sorted and there's nothing that might go south or fail due to lack of attention.

Here's an example: The RD over-shifts the big cog (due to mis-adjustement or hanger getting bent during storage) dropping the chain behind it leading to nicked spokes, or worse, ripping the RD off which can wreak all sorts of havoc.

#8 ·
The LBS inspection and service should get him riding much sooner than noodling everything out and doing it himself before riding.
this may differ among regions, but bike shops here in Austin are all booked up with service 4+ weeks out. these are bike shops that ordinarily have a 2-3 day turnaround on labor. I have been doing quick tuneups on neighbors' bikes recently for a nominal fee (I am not even asking for payment but they insist on paying) just to get people rolling. if OP is in a similar region, I doubt he wants to wait until July to start riding, so the drive to learn DIY maintenance is worth pursuing in that case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.