Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Bull Horns

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  BansheeRune 
#1 ·
Hi, I fitted a set of bull horns to my bike yesterday as I find it easier for cycling up hill.

I tightened the horns very tight... almost to a level whereby I thought I might have heard the handle bar creak... however, if I push down in them hard, they do start to slip still.

Any ideas or recommendations... or should I just keep tightening them?

#8 ·
This first, then lubricate the bolts, don't over do it torquing or they will break and we all know the headache that creates!

60-80 grit sand paper to roughen up the surfaces that mate for traction and grip, no more slip. Doesn't take much so no need to spend more than a few seconds on the sanding part.

#11 ·
Really need more info on what he means by bullhorns. If its bar ends, need to be a bit cautious. If using on lightweight bars, the bars are likely too thin at the ends to support bar ends. And bar ends if you haul on the very tips likely will slip, they aren't really designed for that.

#16 ·
If you read the service instructions for most bicycle components, the torque spec explicitly says to grease the bolt. I can't think of a threaded interface that does not need a thin bit of grease explicitly in the instructions. There probably are a few exceptions to that, but the general rule is to grease or treat threads.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.