Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Mineral oil brake bleeding syringe.

3K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Cleaner 
#1 ·
Hey there,

I finally broke my one time use Mineral oil syringe that came with some bleed kit.
That new Park Tool set is nice but way past my needs and wallet size.
What is someone using for a more sturdy and long lasting syringe?

Thank you.

#8 ·
Veterinary syringes

The syringes sold in the brake bleed kits including Park's are typically veterinary dosing syringes. There are many Chinese knock offs but you can go with the French made Ardes brand which usually ships with spare o-rings and is made from polycarbonate and nylon on the plastic parts. The metal is nickel plated brass. These are designed to be re-used and are well made. The o-rings look like silicone. They are easily disassembled and cleaned. They have Luer lock barrels for attachment of needles etc.

I suspect the bike versions are Asian copies but I have the Ardes and they are high quality. You can find them on line at livestock supply and Amazon.

https://www.ardes-group.com/gamme/syringes/

#2 ·
There are lots of mineral oil bleed kits starting pretty cheap on Amazon or eBay. Jagwire makes a nice universal mineral bleed kit that covers just about all mineral oil brakes from the various manufacturers. They also sell the various fittings and hoses as well.

https://jagwire.com/products/tools/pro-bleed-kit

The typical cheap syringes you can get a pharmacy have rubber pistons that will swell and stick after using mineral oil in them. They are pretty cheap so can be bought in quantity and thrown away after use.

#3 ·
Depending on where you live a store like Tractor Supply or similar will have veterinary syringes in the horse and large animal sections.

Those syringes come in various sizes and include the types with the screw on tips.

Very handy for suspension work, bleeding brakes, putting Loctite in, etc.

#6 ·
I missed this post this thread when it was originally posted, but there are a bunch of relatively inexpensive bleed kits on Amazon now that provide what look like decent quality syringes in them that can be properly disassembled and cleaned between uses. As an example, something like this for Shimano brakes. I ordered a similar one for bleeding DOT fluid systems and have been impressed - these syringes feel night and day better than the typical single use syringes that I've used in the past.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.