Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Blisters from bunny hops?

1K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Taroroot 
#1 ·
Been trying to learn bunny-hops but realized that I have been getting blisters as a result of doing so. I have gloves on when I practice so am wondering if blisters are normal?

#3 ·
In my BMX days, I had large, rock-hard calluses on my hands. Blisters come first. Take a break to heal and then get back on it. This will happen no matter what.

However, how do the gloves fit? It might be a good idea to get something that fits more snug on your hands.

#4 ·
I never took a break to heal. Just keep at it and endure the pain. The blisters will build into larger calluses which protects you from it happing again. I was a blister / callus mess during my motocross days.

#5 ·
I'm not real crazy about this advice.

Read up on blisters and infections, OP.

While most blisters never become infected, it can be a serious health concern when they do. If you participate in a lot of activities that lead to friction blisters, consider keeping some antibiotic ointment on hand to reduce your risk of infection.

#12 ·
This is important.

If callouses get to thick they rip off. I've had it happen quite a few times. Especially sucky in rock climbing when a large portion of your finger pad seperates from the underlying tissue.

You don't want to file them down to thin. It takes some experience to maintain callouses correctly.

#13 ·
It's fairly normal when repetitively practicing something new. Ease off and let heal, then continue. If possible and the pressure isn't too painful, don't pop the blister. It won't get infected that way and heals faster.
Heck, I got blisters a couple months ago from raking trails.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.