Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Axle to crown...

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  customfab 
#1 ·
I want to replace the old and knackered Rock Shox Psylo XC fork on an early 2k GT Ruckus with a rigid fork.

The Psylo has 80 – 125mm travel with an axle to crown of 475mm: with sag approx. 455mm.

Identiti’s Rebate rigid fork has an axle to crown of 425mm. They also offer a suspension corrected version at 465mm for the same price. Both forks are either side of the Psylo’s axle to crown measurement.

Any opinions on which Rebate would best fit the Ruckus in terms of handling etc? Bike will be used for street, park and some commuting.

Thanks

#2 ·
I think 425 would be too short. I would shoot for the upper end of your beginning A-C and use the longer one.

however, it depends on what you want to do with it. if you want it to handle more like a big BMX/trials bike, the shorter fork would steepen the HTA and make it easier to throw around at the park. BMX bikes have a HTA about 75° or steeper these days. nose manuals!

#3 ·
Do you typically run the Psylo closer to 80 or 125"? Every 25mm of axle to crown is good for about .5* of headtube angle. So with the trend of everything getting slacker these days, adding a little more A-C can make old bikes feel more modern in the handling department. Given those two A-C options, I would definitely pick the longer one.

#4 ·
Hello "Cold Brains",

I have a little experience with replacing suspension with rigid and am curious if the "Psylo" was the original fork on the GT you have? I used to have a "vintage" Rocky Mountain that originally came with a RS Quadra 10 but the previous owner changed it to an adjustable Psylo like yours. I thought the bike handled great until I replaced the Psylo with a rigid fork from Vicious Cycles. They offer a 438mm option (a 470mm as well). The also look very similar to the Rebate Rigid fork you were considering (straight blade and black). Vicious uses True Temper Steel for theirs.

Vicious Cycles - Forks

Hope this may help some,
Jason

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.