Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Local bike shop out of bikes

3K views 26 replies 23 participants last post by  ral1121 
#1 ·
He said he couldn't get anything to sell. The shop is FULL of bikes to be serviced though. I'm seeing it getting hard to find bikes online also. Is this happening in your area?

#4 ·
My LBS had an XS hybrid they’d been looking to sell for years. It took my friend only an hour before she bought it.

Anything in mediums? Good luck.

Fox is already back ordered on some 2021 stuff. I’m already starting to get some extra drivetrain parts.

#5 ·
I went to my LBS a couple weeks ago and I witnessed 4 new bike days within 2 minutes of standing outside.

A couple days ago, I ran into so many families that were riding together. There was a family of 5 who were all riding Trek Marlins with kickstands...going the wrong direction on the trail.

#8 ·
All these extra bike sales has had me thinking about trying to sell a couple bikes. The only caveat here being that I like having a spare mtb in case one is down for service for awhile. With it being so hard to replace said bike, I'm hesitant.

My wife was working on figuring out how to shuffle her bike collection a bit before the pandemic hit. We were talking about building her up a hardtail to use for gravel and other light trail rides to replace her gravel bike. She's got a FS she doesn't ride anymore. Has had a couple opportunities to sell it since the pandemic started, but she's insisting on keeping the hubs, yet isn't really committing to swapping them out with anything so she can sell that bike.

#10 ·
I was giving advice to a friend regarding bike racks the other day and ventured over to Rockymounts, Thule, and Saris websites and they all were low or our of stock on hitch mount racks.

People are getting out there. Our local paper recommended that people should go out for a ride, especially with family, this was in Seattle so a lot of folks got out.

I agree that in 6mo to a year there will be a glut of used bikes on the market as people give up the freedom they gained during the pandemic and return to sitting in the house and watching tv or whatever.

#12 ·
Put a used 2017 Trek Skye up for sale on craigslist for $350. My wife purchased it new in 2017 for $490. I had 20 inquiries in less than 24 hours, and had to stop answering all the people who thought I listed it too high and were trying to haggle. Within that first 24 hours someone offered the asking price and came to pick it up that day. Made me wonder if I should have asked for more. The market is bozo right now in my area (Boston).

#16 ·
Parts sell fast there too. The only thing I was able to sell was a boxxer, which is surprising given how many e-bikes want them. I'll use the Boxxer instead of the fox 40 because it's lighter. I'm hoping the 40 sells once dh season picks up.

My husband does have a cheap hardtail we should definitely sell right now though.

#19 ·
I have immensely enjoyed seeing all of those people out on their bikes really having a good time. The bike rack in Wal Mart is picked clean and I hope a lot of those folks who bought those bikes discover what a great sport we have for any level of rider.

My one pet peeve, though, is seeing people with their seats too low. I have chatted with a few people and suggested they raise their seats...and they were amazed.

I'm not very charitable but I could get into a charity that promoted cycling and helped people with the little things like safety and bike repair.

#22 ·
I just sold my old bikes to buy a new bike. Had no clue there was a bike shortage until I went to the bike shop. I found the Trek Stache 7 I wanted, but had to drive nearly 3 hours to get it. Didn't realize people were going nuts buying bikes. Had I known that I would have asked for more money on CL for my old bikes! No wonder I sold them within hours of posting them.

#23 ·
I got lucky and bought my Specialized Fuse Comp (used) just as the lockdown started. I also sold my 1989 Trek road bike and 1994 Giant Mountain bike at the same time. Had I waited a couple of weeks, my LBS probably would have been sold out of anything I was interested in.

I went by there last week and they almost completely sold out of all bikes; same with Wal-Mart and Target. No bikes. Just empty racks.

#24 ·
Lots of stores (and suppliers) are sold out on bikes here.

I walked past one of the LBS today on my way to the HomeDepot, there were 9 people in line waiting for the service dept, bikes or parts in hand. Heck, I've had 4 friends reach out to me on bike buying advice.

I'm seeing a lot of spanking new bikes (and riders) on the trail this season so far.

#26 ·
While I suppose that a lot of these bikes will end up being sold after a few months, there will still be a good many people who try mountain biking and discover that they really like it a lot and stick with it. We may end up with a new wave of riders coming into the sport.

#27 ·
Walked into my local bike shop today for a new chain and spare quick links and asked then if they where still busy. The store manager told me they have slowed down only due to being out of bikes. They sell giant and Santa Cruz. He did say that it is really surprising what people are coming in and asking for. Just yesterday he had a guy come in and ask to get 5 bikes all in a range of 5k to 12k. Nearly 40k total for 5 bikes. He said that this has happened several times over the past couple months. This is in san antonio tx. Where are people coming up with 40k to spend on bikes all at once. That is crazy.

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.