Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

MTB product you wish existed?

7K views 148 replies 65 participants last post by  Jayem 
#1 ·
Are there any items, accessories, or products for MTB that you wish existed? Any ideas for things that would make mountain biking better?

#3 ·
the idea of a dropper post that you don't have to push down has been suggested. that might exist, but most of them don't do that. if you could push a lever and the seatpost would just drop out of the way on its own, then pop back up with another push of a lever, that would be perfect.

odd tooth-count direct mount chainrings. not useful to most people but for dialing in the gear ratio and CSL on a singlespeed would be easier on modern cranks if I could use a 33t.

Microspline SS cogs. also very niche, but I'd buy a microspline hub if I could use it. I am sure those will appear on the market eventually.

#4 ·
we need to do away with rear derailers. internal gear hubs and frame-mounted gearboxes have been around for a long time, but they are far from the mainstream. I predict that no one will want to buy a bike with derailers on it at all in a decade. I just don't know what will replace them.

#28 ·
I was shouting about that ten years ago, and I was wrong. They still haven't overcome drag and weight, absolute killers of sales with any currently available system. The market has proven it is resilient to any cost considerations, the highest high end ig product will have to be as light as XTR/ETC, and 99.9% efficient. Anything less will continue to be niche.
I must reiterate, though, I was wrong before!

#19 ·
1. GPS within your bike. Can be used with your smartphone apps (for location) and can be used a bicycle "lo-jack" if bike is stolen.

2. RFID chip within bikes. I think I have the name of this correct. Similar to tagging/chipping your dog, the bike's serial number is also a chip but invisible -- for carbon fibe bikes maybe its embedded (unseen) in the frame. Could make recovery of stolen bikes easier.

3. This is just my opinion-I have zero authority/influence over any trail--Everyone needs to acknowledge E-bikes (versus human powered bikes). They're here to stay. E-bikes need to stop trying to gain (assume?) access to mtb trails and create their own ride opportunities. Mtb'ers need to be more accepting of multipurpose trails where ebikers are approved to ride. I think there can be time and place for both to exist but history and each local trail's politics sometimes prove otherwise.

#22 ·
I may have misinterpretted the question and replied incorrectly then. I can delete/edit if my post if needed. Not my intention to troll or derail the OP.

#29 ·
No question, a regenerative braking generator that charges a small battery which is connected to heating elements in my grips and pedals.

#45 ·
Similar thought for a long time running now. Wasn't there a spray foam product on the scene for a blip? Can't remember. I'm guessing cost is the limiting factor here but wager we still see something like this in the future.

Sent from my moto g(6) forge using Tapatalk

#44 ·
Bike computers that don't use dipshit touch-screens and Li-Ion batteries that last 10 minutes in the cold (replaceable lithium batteries work great in the cold).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.