Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Remedy 8 rear suspension moves in lockout position

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  kemar 
#1 ·
Hi there,

I recently purchased a 2020 Trek Remedy 8 XT and have a question regarding the rear suspension. I noticed that there is some movement even when the switch is in the lockout position. It does become slightly firmer for small movements. But when a carefully sit on the bike or when I push with force down into
the pedals, the suspension travels about as much in the locked position as it does in the open position. Is this behavior normal? I set up the suspension according to the Trek guide.

I've already asked the customer support of Trek as well as my bike dealer. The former said that a little movement (whatever the means, exactly) is normal in modern suspensions, while the latter said that the suspension should not move at all. The Rockshox manual says that the "lockout setting prevents the shock from compressing until significant impact or downward force occurs".

Can any of you with a Remedy 8 tell me how your rear suspension behaves in the lockout position?

Thanks a lot in advance!

#3 ·
Must admit I've never ridden my Remedy in full lockout however I took my Fuel Ex for a bike path ride (because my hardtail is getting serviced) and initially the lockout made it feel like riding a hardtail but eventually the amount of travel felt quite significant. Less than trail or downhill settings but not fully locked out. As syl says, it just firms up the pedaling but doesn't fully lockout.

#5 ·
On my Remedy 9.8 it's not called a lockout, it's referred to as "climb" mode. The shock has three positions, "climb", "trail" and "open". My daughters Fuel EX shock has 2 positions, with a diagram showing "lock" and "unlock". Really though it's a climb switch. Modern shocks don't have a true lockout because one, it's not that comfortable to have a truly locked out shock, and two, you could potentially damage the shock with a big enough impact. The shock may show a "lock", but it's just a climbing switch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.